do your cats wear collars? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Two of mine wear collars because they are known to try to make a break for it from time to time. No bells though, the sound drives me crazy.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My indoor only kitties only wear break-away collars with tags when I take them to the vet, just in case there is an escape or mix-up. They're microchipped, but a collar is a more obvious indicator if they get lost and picked up. Not everyone out there has the sense to take a found kitty to check for chips.

At home the collars come off, even though they don't seem to mind wearing them. They never try to leave the house.
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Yuki has always worn a breakaway collar. She's microchipped too. I've got a tag on her collar that says "indoor cat" and my name and cell no. She doesn't seem to mind the bell and I like it because it has helped me find her when she's escaped at night. It's so funny, she actually likes the turquoise colour ones more than the exact same style in a different colour. I'd got a pink one once and she took it off every time I put it on her. I bought another turquoise one and she left it alone. I think she knows it brings out her lovely blue eyes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My boys won't wear them. I won't put anything but breakaway collars on them and they've both learned how to break the collar when I put it on.

They are both microchipped and I contact the company every January (same day I change my smoke detector batteries) and make sure they have my information correct.

I prefer them withOUT collars. The jangling annoys me and I think they look prettier 'au naturale'.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Premier Cat

No collars on my babies. They know who butters their bread and wouldn't dream of running away!! =D
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cat

Both my cats wear collars with ID tags, even though they're 100% indoors. I feel safer knowing that they're collared and ID'd so that if, heaven forbid, they ever get out and go for an extended adventure, anybody who finds them will a) know that they're not strays and that they have owners and b) obviously, if someone finds them, they'll be able to contact us and hopefully get our babies home as soon as possible.

Coda is microchipped (one of the perks of adopting from our local shelter - all their kitties are microchipped and the correct contact information is updated before they're adopted out), and I'd like to get Cal chipped as well, but I still like them to wear collars, because that way anybody off the street can see their contact information, without having to take them to a shelter or a vet's office.

Plus, it's true that collars are way cute. Currently Coda is sporting neon pink zebra print, and Cal's got bright blue leopard print. And I like having little bells on them. If someone has left the door open and I'm trying to account for both kitties, being able to hear them is a plus.

EDIT: I always use breakaway collars, just to be safe.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
my cats are microchipped
now i am dealing with microchipping service to change owner info to mine, as they were microchipped just before adoption and despite my request (i paid for microchipping) they registered them as owned by a rescue group. It's been a month since I am trying to change it. grrrr. sorry off-topic
You should be able to contact the company that he is registered with. They can help. Especially if you paid for it.
rdswan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cat

Gazoo got a collar with a little bell on it for Christmas. He was OK for a minute or two and then he kinda freaked out and started trying to get it off. At one point he managed to get it up over his chin and in his mouth. He then seemed to panic so I got it off of him and put it away. We wont be trying that again.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas718 View Post
Gazoo got a collar with a little bell on it for Christmas. He was OK for a minute or two and then he kinda freaked out and started trying to get it off. At one point he managed to get it up over his chin and in his mouth. He then seemed to panic so I got it off of him and put it away. We wont be trying that again.
This happened the first time I put a collar on my kitten. It was a breakaway but the buckle ended up in his mouth. I had to stick my hand in his mouth to undo the collar - that didnt go well for anyone!

If he can get it up over his chin, the collar is too loose. It's sometimes hard to tell especially with long hair or especially fluffy cats. Tightening the collar stopped this from happening. It didn't stop him from trying to remove the collar though so eventually I gave up as well.

I'm jealous of people with cute collars on their cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cat

I've noticed a few people complaining about updating the info on a microchip being difficult...it's always been easy for me, I just go to their website and update my info every time I've moved, and it's been no big deal.

I forget what the company I use is called (assuming there even are different companies) and I'm not sure if it's a local thing or not, but I've never had any issues changing my information with them.
Advertisement