do your cats wear collars? - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cat

Both of my cats wear break away collars with their id/rabies tags. They are indoor cats,but I feel better knowing that they have some identification.I've been lucky because even though they run and play,the collars manage to stay on them.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cat

Yet another reminder of how low-key my cats are: neither of them have ever seemed to mind wearing a collar. Coda had a collar on her from the shelter when we brought her home (they put collars on all, or at least most of their cats there) so she was already used to wearing one. Cal didn't have a collar when I found him and I have no idea if he'd ever worn one before, but he didn't protest at all when I put one on him.

When we first brought Coda home, we took her collar off at night for a while because she liked to bounce off the walls at about 4am and the bell got annoying then, but after she settled in better and started mostly sleeping through the night in bed with us, we stopped taking it off at night.

I somewhat frequently take their collars off to give them a good scratching underneath the collar area, which they both LOVE, but aside from that, they always wear their collars. Just makes me feel better, and when their collars start to wear out, shopping for new cute designs is always fun.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I had one cat who regularly took his collar off and always left them under the rhubarb in the garden. When it died back, we'd find them!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #34 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocrypha428 View Post
The little bells drive Sam crazy! He much prefers the harness he wears on our walks outside
One of my boys, Papito, LOVES his collar. He ruined one, so I took it off to switch his tags onto the new collar, and he was standing in my lap waiting for me to put it back on, squeaking indignantly. He seems to really enjoy his jingles.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdswan14 View Post
You should be able to contact the company that he is registered with. They can help. Especially if you paid for it.
I did, but it is not that quick. They had to get approval form previous owner to change contact info to mine, etc. Actually last week we finish the process and finally it works, I can access their data online at the microchipping service website and I am listed as owner of my cats. But it took 6-7 weeks.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawramik View Post
I've noticed a few people complaining about updating the info on a microchip being difficult...it's always been easy for me, I just go to their website and update my info every time I've moved, and it's been no big deal.

I forget what the company I use is called (assuming there even are different companies) and I'm not sure if it's a local thing or not, but I've never had any issues changing my information with them.
Since I finally have password it's not a problem at all. the problem for me was to legally change ownership of my cats from local rescue group that I adopted them from to me. I had to submit special forms and they had to contact rescue group to confirm that I am the owner, etc. doesn't sound that complicated but it took almost two months. Now it works ok
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cat

If my kitties were outdoor cats, I would definitely put a collar and tag on them. Since they are indoor-only, I would not force them to wear one because I know they would find it uncomfortable. Maybe not all cats would, but I know mine would.
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I havent put collars on my girls as they are microchipped and indoor cats, however, I do have collars along with copies of there medical records inside there cat carrier in the front hall closet for vet visits and in cases of evacuation and emergencys. they have on them there rabies tags as well as city license tags (yes we have to be pet licensed here in Toronto)
britishvixen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
No collars on my babies. They know who butters their bread and wouldn't dream of running away!! =D
Ditto, my thoughts exactly.

2 of my 3 cats go for daily walks in the garden downstairs. They don't wear collars because even the break-away ones aren't totally safe. Plus the stray cat haters who'd love to hurt me badly for feeding the strays would be too happy to know which of all the cats are my house babies and kill them. And when I tried a collar on Prince a couple times, a lovely one with his name and phone number that cost me a lot of money, he wouldn't stop scratching.

Bells sound like a nighmare for the cat and for me, having to hear that noise all day and night.
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I bought three collars for two cats. I was excited to accessorise them. I tried on Blaze first since he's indoor. He had it off in less than 30 minutes. I tried again when he was wandering the yard (unlike Blacky he won't leave the backyard) and we found it in the grass 10 minutes later. He didn't look like he hated it either when we put it on, so it must be very easy to fall off.

I never tried it on Blacky; I could see I'd be losing the collar in a matter of minutes if not days. I don't think I want to constantly wander the neighbour's yard to find a collar, either. She has worn flea collars without issue but they weren't breakaway, it was to serve a purpose... however, I wouldn't feel right putting a regular (non-breakaway) collar on her just for the sake of wearing a collar. Even though she is indoor/outdoor she never goes far.

So no, my cats don't wear collars.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement