do your cats wear collars? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default do your cats wear collars?

I am just asking out of curiosity.

For some unidentified reason I have strong affection to all those cute kitty collars with bells, and I always wanted to put them on my cats I think it would look nice and I just love the sound those little bells make.

but i do not want to make my cats uncomfortable in any way or put them in danger (my cousin's beloved cat died suffocating b/c her collar caught a branch however my cats are strictly indoors). thus, i have never gotten a collar for any on my cats.

are those collars with bells annoying to cats? I know that good collars open when caught on something, so they should not be dangerous, but I am wondering if cats care about something on their neck, with bells on it
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Four of mine have no problems at all - two of them take them back off.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

No, I didn't put collars on my cats because they are inside. They like to chase and wrestle and I thought the collars might get tangled together . I might try it when they are older and not as active because I do think they look nice.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I used to try to keep collars and ID on my indoor cats b/c, after all, stuff happens and I didn't want to take even a small risk that they might get out and be out there w/out ID. But I couldn't get them to keep the collars on! It is, of course, unsafe to put anything but a breakaway collar on a cat, and it's just too easy for them to get out of them. Since I couldn't keep them on the cats it seemed pointless.

Do be sure that your cats are microchipped!!! That way, if one DOES get out and someone finds him/her, you stand a good chance of getting the kitty back.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post

Do be sure that your cats are microchipped!!! That way, if one DOES get out and someone finds him/her, you stand a good chance of getting the kitty back.
my cats are microchipped
now i am dealing with microchipping service to change owner info to mine, as they were microchipped just before adoption and despite my request (i paid for microchipping) they registered them as owned by a rescue group. It's been a month since I am trying to change it. grrrr. sorry off-topic
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I bought a break away collar for my kitten it has a bell on and thought it would help me to find her when she is hiding/runnin around in other rooms. I tried it on her for small amounts of time so she would get use to it but she just tries to play with the bell and spends the whole time with trying to carry the bell in her mouth and as collar was a little on the roomy side we have put it on hold for a while
dollysmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

When we got our two little ladies I wanted nothing more than to put a cute collar on Moosey. We only had her for a few days and she just didn't seem right, she would try to rip the collar off and would attack Ziggy's bell, which was right on her neck. She seemed miserable. I evenutall took the collar off of both of them (after spending $10 on a tag with her name and mine and my boyfriend's number on it).

If you think about it, how would you feel if you had an annoying sound in your ear every time you moved? I want to try the collar on them again without the bell and just the ID tag.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have collars on both of my boys. One I took the bell off though because all you hear at night when he's playing is jingle jingle lol. But one still has the bell I use the snap away (think that's what it is called) collars so if they happen to get caught on something it snaps apart easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Firelove89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

i love those little rhinestone and velvet collars, and my older two seemed to like them as well. they looked so glamorous and refined . but houdini, the 2 1/2 yr. old escape artist came with a tiny collar on already, and when i bought him another, i got one with a bell on it (all of them break-away). he promptly took it off so he could play with it, and then went after the others'. i tried putting it back on him a couple of times and the same thing happened so now all my cats walk around naked.

i like the idea of having my phone number and address right there, but i don't think any of them are getting out. (famous last words, i know.)
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
are those collars with bells annoying to cats? I know that good collars open when caught on something, so they should not be dangerous, but I am wondering if cats care about something on their neck, with bells on it
When I was a teenager I was really chewed out by a dog
of some repute for keeping tags on my dog's collar. He
swore I was being abusive because it was too much and
too constant for the dog's sensitive hearing. After that I
would use the kind of flat tag you rivet to a flat collar.
I've been afraid to put belled collars on my cats for the same
reason, but that could just be teenage trauma talking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement