New cat, need help introducing to current dog. - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purring_Kitties View Post
I was playing with Jewel outside, when a girl with her dog walked by our gate. The dog sniffed at Jewel and she hissed. I need help. Will Jewel be like this to fogs forever?
Your first post said you got a feral kitten. Hissing is a pretty normal fear response. She's probably just afraid. With time, she could relax and trust you enough that she might not be afraid in new situations. For now, what she needs is lots of time. Playing with her outside if you've just got her is probably not very safe yet. One because she could get away from you and not be able to find her way home, and two because something from outside (a dog, or wild animal) could try to get her. Even if she's "okay" with dogs someday, it doesn't mean every dog will be okay with her.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

Jewel isn't ant-social! My Luna hissed at a teddy bear she perceived as a threat, lol. It would be pretty normal for a little kitten to be afraid of a dog!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Just focus on introductions with the dog you have - wariness of strange dogs outside shouldn't worry you.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

We foster stray cats and kitten in homes with dogs. We've never had a failure where the cat doesn't eventually get along with the dogs. Some of the homes have BIG dogs! It just takes time. Get down on the floor and look at it from the kittens perspective. Follow the article that Susan posted. It will all work out. Thanks for giving this kitten a good home. I look forward to pictures when they are friends!

Great picture Arianwen! Loved it.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat

Don't rush the little Jewel. She sounds like a feminist cat--"Nobody gets MY food." Do you have a picture yet? I bet she turns out to be a good match.
Catmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Question

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I think Jewel trust me a lot more now. Is it right to introduce her to Amber again? My dad is also thinking of adopting another puppy next week, so what do I do now?
Purring_Kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I would either put up a gate that they can see each other through or put your dog on a leash and have him lie down. Have one person feed the dog treats so he is occupied and let the kitty come up and sniff the dogs back side on her own terms. She will still likely hiss but if you dont push her and you keep the dogs head occupied she should start to calm down. Before taking the dog out of the room move the kitty back, if she is near him when he stands up it will probably scare her.

Most cats will not make friends fast with another animal. When i brouht home a new kitten my current cat hissed and growled for a while. Now they are best friends, cats just dont trust that quickly, just go slow.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement