New cat, need help introducing to current dog. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Unhappy New cat, need help introducing to current dog.

Hello. If you remember, I started a topic called Kitten Location Problem. My dad finally gave into letting the cat be a permanent indoor cat so we adopted a feral domestic shorthair kitten. Her name's Jewel. She is cute, and active, but doesn't really like staying still. I planned to introduce her to my 3 year old Labrador Retriver, Amber. Amber is quirky, but can be gentle and mellow. She was kind to my past guinea pig, so I was hoping for them to get along. I was about to place Jewel in a cat cage after she ate her meal, but my little brother opened the door in the room me and my kitten were in, so Amber entered the room. Jewel was still eating food, and Amber went a little closer to her. Jewel was afraid Amber would get her cat food, so she got defensive and hissed. I got upset at my brother, and let my dog out. Now I'm afraid they got to a bad start. Is Jewel an anti social kitten? She used to live with her mom in the shelter, how do I introduce my two pets properly? Please help, I don't want them to be enemies forever. I appreciate advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance. Oh, and it would mean a lot to me if you suggest steps on how to introduce my cat and dog properly.
Purring_Kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Here you go: Cat-to-Dog Introductions | Little Big Cat
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It probably scared the poor little kitten to suddenly see a dog. Take it slow and let them both get used to the idea of another furry friend in the house and they should be fine. Give it time.

I have a door to a laundry room that has a little passageway through it at the bottom about 5"x 8" so the cats can get to the food and litter boxes. When the door is closed they still have free passage. When we get a new cat I isolate the area by putting up wire mesh so they can see and smell each other for a few days. Of course that means a litter box and food has to be relocated to the dining room for a couple days for the resident cats, but the system works well for me. Try cracking open your door just enough for your kitten and dog to see and sniff each other but not come in or go out. Use a door wedge to keep it from opening all the way - I'm talking just a couple inches. I'm going to predict that within a week or so they will be friends!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Thank you! Much appreciated. Even if Jewel reacted badly, do you think they will eventually make peace?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
It probably scared the poor little kitten to suddenly see a dog. Take it slow and let them both get used to the idea of another furry friend in the house and they should be fine. Give it time.

I have a door to a laundry room that has a little passageway through it at the bottom about 5"x 8" so the cats can get to the food and litter boxes. When the door is closed they still have free passage. When we get a new cat I isolate the area by putting up wire mesh so they can see and smell each other for a few days. Of course that means a litter box and food has to be relocated to the dining room for a couple days for the resident cats, but the system works well for me. Try cracking open your door just enough for your kitten and dog to see and sniff each other but not come in or go out. Use a door wedge to keep it from opening all the way - I'm talking just a couple inches. I'm going to predict that within a week or so they will be friends!
Thank you so much! You don't know how much that helped! Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Looking forward to pics of them snuggling!! =D
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Unhappy

I was playing with Jewel outside, when a girl with her dog walked by our gate. The dog sniffed at Jewel and she hissed. I need help. Will Jewel be like this to fogs forever?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If you follow the guidelines I posted above, the chances are good that your new kitten and Amber will get along. However, Jewel will likely always hiss at a new dog (a dog she doesn't know and one to whom she hasn't been properly introduced). Presumably, however, your only concern is that Jewel and Amber get along, which will likely be the case.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I would give Jewel time to get used to the dog on HER terms. I have introduced 3 cats to 2 full time dogs and my kitten has been introduced to many dogs as I take him around to the pet store a lot. The way I did it was allow the cats to come to the dogs on their terms. The dogs were NOT ALLOWED to sniff/chase/bark at/run around/run after the cats only to lay calmly around them. After a while the cats started snuggling with the dogs and they became the best of friends. My kitten used to swat and hiss at the dog ALL THE TIME when he was a very small kitten and now they are best buddies.

Good luck and don't expect them to be instant friends, there will be set backs, but animals lean how to get along if their hum as have faith in them.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When Oz first arrived with us, he was afraid of everything - especially the dog. As you can see, it can change!!!!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement