New Kitty Mamma - Bella, 4yr old Long Calico - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default New Kitty Mamma - Bella, 4yr old Long Calico

Hi! I just became a kitty momma for the first time in 20 years, to a pretty 4yr old kitty named Bella.
Bella came to me through a friend who rescues/fosters cats, and Bella just couldn't gt along with the others.
Since yesterday when we brought her home, along with some of her own condos and comfort items, she has been hiding under one bed or another.
She had to be sequestered from the other kitties where she was because she was too skiddish and didn't want to play with any of them, usually picking a fight.
Now that she has her own place I hope she warms up soon, but I don't want to rush her.
Any ideas how to get her trust? She was living with other cats before the foster home, but there, had to live in a room by herself except for the rare occaision she could roam the house freely when the others were put out.
I hope and believe she is young enough to gain my trust and live happily in my little house (just me here) where she will have complete domain and plenty of windows to sit in at her leisure.
Any tips would be helpful.
CherylinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Some Calicos are like yours, somewhat skittish, but can be dominant and house bossy with other cats. It can take an adult cat a few weeks to months to really feel comfortable in their new home. I've always loved Calicos, and when they have your trust are very loyal and loving, at least that's been my experience. Just have a lot of patience with her. If she's hiding under the bed go in and sit on the floor near the bed and just talk to her or read. Once she gets used to you being there and passive, she may start to come to you on her own, but if not entice her by bringing her a yummy treat.....tiny piece of cheese or chicken, or cat treat. Put it close to her but not too close. Each time make it closer to you. Bring her a toy rubbed with catnip. Try to entice her to play with a fishing pole type toy with feathers on the end. Eventually she should start to come out on her own to see what you've brought for her. Reach your hand out to invite her to rub on it, and when she does do a bit on her cheeks or chin or top of her head. She'll let you know what part she wants touched and which she doesn't. Don't pressure her to accept more than she wants, so lots of patience is required on your part to gain her trust. You can't force a cat to be friends with you, and it could be she had poor early socialization or some abuse that she can't trust people. She may feel comfortable enough to be near you but not a lap sitter. Good luck!

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks! Just last night she started wandering around in earnest, running about and scratching her post (thank goodness) and even slept up on the bed til I woke up and rolled, then she disappeared again, so that is a very positive feeling - hopefully each day gets better. I would love it if she will be a lap cat someday.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

This is all very good advice! I would add only that staring at her
is often interpreted as a threat and can be intimidating. Try to
use your peripheral vision to keep track of her reactions rather
than looking at her direction when tossing goodies toward her.
When she starts to respond you can ease up on this.

Congrats on adopting this little girl! I adore calico cats, and
I've never known a stable that wasn't run by a calico barn cat.
She'll be your loyal friend for life in just a little while

Last edited by marie73; 01-08-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Desert Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

The ongoing saga....
Last night she did the usual running about, scratching her post, inquisitive meows... then after my alarm went off and I was lying in bed watching the news, she crawled up on the side table and leaned over my face, sniffed me, and turned slowly and walked her way back down, no hurry, no fear, just curious.
I made it a point to not to try to reach out and touch her, though she's going to need a combing soon, I'm looking forward to tonight's antics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement