Litterbox issue after UTI - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Litterbox issue after UTI

Several weeks ago I caught my cat urinating on the rug. She's 11 and never done this before. I figured it was a UTI and am aware of how they will avoid the litter box because they relate it to pain. So I moved the box to a different room and had no problems for the weeks to follow. I took her to the vet and she did have a UTI and they gave me antibiotics. Now a week afterI started her on meds, I moved the box back to it's original location, because it's in an out of the way place. Today I came home to urine on the same rug.

How do I get my cat to use the litter box in the original location again? I really don't want it in my spare bedroom.

Any advice?
jpludwick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

First, I'd ensure that the UTI has cleared up. If so, then she might still be associating her pain with the box in the original spot. Thus, I'd move the box back to the temporary spot (which I think is your spare bedroom) for a good length of time (at least a month). Assuming you have no further issues, I'd then add a second box in your desired location and, once she shows a willingness to use the box in the desired location, remove the box in the spare bedroom.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the reply. I was supposed to get her re-checked next week.

I have 2 litter boxes now.(iI have another cat). Originally I left 1 down in the mud room and it never got used. Only the one in the spare room. Today I decided to place it in a place near the mud room but not in it. We'll see what happens. The problem with that spot is it is next to my kitchen.

Luckily for me, the rug she's choosing to go on is small enough to place in the washer!
jpludwick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement