How Attached Are Your Cats To Each Other? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default How Attached Are Your Cats To Each Other?

I've noticed that Mitsey who is older than Rico will hang around him a lot when she is feeling insecure about something such as a new dog in the home. When I took him in to get neutered, she looked for him and called him all of the time.

Do any of you have cats who are very attached to each other or make the other feel safe?
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Squeek is the light of Lickorish's life, but I'm not sure how Squeek feels about things.

We adopted Squeek and Lickorish together at the age of about 4.5 years old. they had been together since they were kittens (but not littermates). Lickorish is absolutely possessive of Squeek and at the foster home would attack other cats that got close to Squeek. When we brought them home, the only thing that got Lickorish to come out of hiding was to pet Squeek. Lickorish would try to put herself between us and Squeek. After the acclimation period we let them loose in the house. Sometimes one would be upstairs and one downstairs, but if one called out, the other would come running.

Nowadays, they don't do that anymore. Lickorish often calls for Squeek to come play, but Squeek doesn't always respond. They play together and often sleep together, but I think sometimes Squeek would prefer to be an only kitty - or just have time away from Lickorish who annoys her a lot - and plays too rough. Lickorish on the other hand would be lost without Squeek.
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My 2 girls have lived together for just about 11 years now, and they just tolerate each other. Actually, I think Celia would be happy to have a buddy, but Margaux is a bully and would be perfectly happy being the only cat.

Curiously, Margaux's more friendly towards Celia when I'm not there. Maybe an insecurity thing, like your Mitsey. When I was away for 4 months, the student who was catsitting/apartment sitting for me took a pic of the two of them lying in bed together, with Margaux grooming Celia. I have never seen the two of them sleep together, and I wouldn't have believed it if she hadn't sent the picture. I'd love to know how they get along when I go away for shorter periods.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

My kitties are very attached to each other...except when it comes to food (then it is every kitty for him/herself!) They often cuddle together and groom one another though. They are from the same litter, and have never been apart.

Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Oh my gosh Merlin!! Your orange kitty looks exactly like my Godzilla!!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Bee and Boo have only been housemates for just under two months but they are the best of buddies and love eachother they sleep together, hang out together, play together, and groom eachother regularly. Even though they are not supposed to i have found them eating together from the same bowl. one will take a bite and chew while the other one takes a bite LOL its actually pretty cute. they even use the scratching post together.
Attached Thumbnails
How Attached Are Your Cats To Each Other?-boobeebed1.jpg   How Attached Are Your Cats To Each Other?-boobeebed2.jpg  
britishvixen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_Guinevere View Post
My kitties are very attached to each other...except when it comes to food (then it is every kitty for him/herself!) They often cuddle together and groom one another though. They are from the same litter, and have never been apart.

Oh my gosh! Your kitties look just like my two Mine are brother and sister that we bottle raised and they have never been separated in their lives and they do EVERYTHING together, including using the litter box. the boy is a long haired orange and the girl is a short hair calico. I think they would literally die if I ever separated them.
Iluvanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

My cats actually aren't exactly bffs. They tolerate each other, Coda will sometimes groom Cal and on cold nights they'll snuggle up between me and my fiance and sleep next to each other, but aside from that, they mostly just ignore each other.

That being said, there were only about five minutes of drama when we introduced them (and we didn't introduce them "properly;" we just sort of tossed them together and hoped for the best, didn't know any better at the time), so we at least got really lucky in that respect. As much as I'd love all the adorable photo ops of my two babies snuggling, I also realise how lucky I am that they at least tolerated each other without having to go through weeks of slow introductions and scary aggression from one or both kitties.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We adopted Moosey (my cat) and Ziggy (my roommates cat) from the same shelter at the same time, so we didn't really think to slowly introduce them as they had the same smells and the shelter allowed the cats free range of the place during the day. There were literally cats EVERYWHERE.

At first Moosey hated Ziggy and hissed at her, then she started to be all nice and lick her. Now she tries to play with her, but she is too rough. They really don't care about each other, except when my roommate took Ziggy to be in a commercial. Moosey walked around meowing for her.

They sleep with us when we let Ziggy in here, but they end up fighting through the night. Luckily my roommate is back, so I don't feel so bad kicking Zigs out.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinCA View Post
Squeek is the light of Lickorish's life, but I'm not sure how Squeek feels about things.
My Zipper and Missy are like that. Missy is very attached to Zip, but I don't think Zip cares either way. When Zipper fell down the stairs last spring she broke her breast bone and couldn't walk much at all. We set her up in a spare room with a litter box, food and water just a foot away. Vet told us to keep her isolated. Missy was beside herself with concern, so we let her in the room and she would not leave. She doted on Zip like a mother with a baby. It was really adorable to see. The rest could care less about each other!

Last edited by Marcia; 01-11-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement