Need new cats (and advice) - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I agree with everyone else. A lot of shelters have kits that cannot be adopted as a single cat. In fact, when I went to adopt my cat there were two signs on the door for kittens that had to be adopted together.

I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine losing my spouse. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

As others have said, I'd recommend going to a shelter or rescue and requesting a bonded pair. A lot of shelters and rescue organisations will only adopt out a cat who has a bonded companion if you're willing to adopt their friend with them, so that's definitely something to look into. A lot of shelters and rescues will also be able to give you the 411 on the temperament of many if not all of the cats they have available for adoption, so if I were you, I'd ask around at shelters and rescues for a pair of kitties that fits what you're looking for.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I absolutely agree with everyone here about using a shelter to find bonded pairs. It's quite common to have an owner surrender their cats because of circumstances beyond their control and a thoughtful shelter (especially a private shelter) will keep the bonded cats together. Have you tried looking on this link? I'm not sure if you are in the US or if this site is available overseas, but I love looking for my new babies here. It allows me to query for the parameters I need: senior, already declawed, gets along with cats/dogs, etc. It won't specifically query for bonded pairs, but the write up of a particular cat will include that info. I am so sorry for your losses! I hope you find a forever BF (or two), soon!

Petfinder | Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishvixen21 View Post
My girls were from the same shelter but we adopted them a year apart and they love eachother. we introduced them slowly and we were very lucky that they bonded so quickly. The reason that we got a second kitty was because I saw a bonded pair of siblings for adoption that I fell in love with but my fiance wouldnt let me get another two they were adorable together and I still feel bad that we couldnt take them as the adoption place told us its much harder to adopt out pairs of adult bonded cats.
A pair of bonded adult cats sounds perfect for me as long as they both accept grooming and routine health care activities, and as long as they're not too old.

I'm going to be 60 in a few weeks so these may be the last cats I get, so I want to have them a long time, because if I get cats in my 70's there's the real danger that I would die and leave my cats homeless (ideally I'd like to meet someone new and married to an animal lover again, but who knows?).

In a week I'm baby-sitting for a friend's adorable and friendly Pembroke Welsh Corgi while she's on vacation, so any cat decisions will have to wait until after that.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnelson View Post

I'm going to be 60 in a few weeks so these may be the last cats I get,
I am close to the same age!!, but I'll keep adopting as long as I can. I have already made arrangements in case we die unexpectedly. My best friend is being left a sum of $$$ that will more than cover the costs of caring for my pets (keeping them, rehoming them, etc.). She is also an avid cat lover, so I have full confidence she will do right by them.

Good luck in your search!!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I would contact a rescue which fosters in their home. The foster parents get to know the cats personalities and quirks too very well. I would adopt an older pair since you think your age is an issue! 60 is not old! You have lots of good year ahead of you and adopting a senior pair would be a god send for a rescue to have happen!

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I went the shelter route and yesterday adopted a girl and a boy - 5 and 6 months old -- who were plucked from a 30-cat feral colony as kittens and foster-raised by a local rescue group called Kitty Angels, who also get them all their neutering, shots, etc. They are very sweet and very tractable - I have no trouble picking them up and handling them. They have different mothers but from the looks of them I'm guessing the same father. They totally cling to each other and mimic each others behavior. Today I found out how the girl likes to be petted to make a loud purr and as soon as her motor got going the boy, who was just watching, started purring in unison!

They're very timid, partly because of their feral background and partly because of this sudden change. I don't look or sound anything like their foster mom; I have a big open-concept house with no other animals or people; I'm sure everything smells and sounds different, too.

I've been keeping them in spare bedroom to acclimate but tonight I let them out to explore the part of the house near their room, which unfortunately has an indoor balcony with a sheer 13' drop to a ceramic tile floor below so they jumped up on the balcony for the view. The idea of them on that balcony scares me to death but I have no idea what to do (I'm starting a separate thread on this so if you have any thoughts please post to that).

Thanks again!

Last edited by marie73; 02-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread