Need new cats (and advice) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Need new cats (and advice)

My 20 year old Birman friend Jean Luc passed away last month a bit over a month after his Maine Coon buddy Albert died (and just 7 months after my wife died). Needless to say, it's lonely here these days.

Jean Luc and Albert were the best of friends, and Jean Luc was also best friends with Albert's predecessor, Spencer. I was truly blessed with having two cats who actually liked each other and were affectionate with each other, considering how many multi-cat houses I know that are war zones! Also, the real secret to Jean Luc's longevity was that he was so tractable - I could give him pills, eyedrops, brush his teeth, take his temperature (and you know what THAT means!), and near the end give him fluids by needle, all without a struggle.

I want two cats and I want to maximize the odds that they will get along well and be highly tractable. I'm leaning towards a pair of Birmans or Ragdolls for their relaxed and affectionate natures, and from the same litter to maximize the odds of a good relationship. Most of my previous cats have been raised and socialized by show breeders and I've had great results.

BUT - part of me wants to get cats from a shelter because they really need a home. I could be saving a cat's life whereas there are long waiting lists for bred cats from good breeders - they'll never be homeless. Is there any good strategy for getting two shelter cats who will be highly tractable for easy care and get along well with each other? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You could adopt two bonded cats who were either turned in together or have become friends in the shelter. There are lots of pairs and multiple cats turned in together (people lose their jobs/homes, etc., and surrender all their pets).

(I miss my little Birman girl, too.)

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

I got my two at the humane society. They came in as a pair. So I think looking at shelters for a bonded pair is a good option.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm very sorry. I remember your posts from before...

I'd suggest a bonded adult pair, you'll know their personality as they're already mature and their personality is pretty much set, you can find exactly what you are looking for that way and shelter workers can help you as they are with the cats daily and want them to go to the right homes, so will give good advice on a good match. Another thing is, some cats simply are friendly! The shelter works could point you in the direction of two cats that seem like they'll get along together as well, and that may work out too. They may have an area where you could watch them interact together.

Whereas getting two purebreds - two kittens I'll assume... finding two purebred adults at roughly the same time sounds complicated - either from the same litter or with a little time in between purchases (kittens don't usually discriminate against other animals like adult cats do so intros wouldn't be that hard), means you won't know their adult personalities at purchase. I'm sure you'd love them all the same, but you will not really know what you'll end up with.

A big factor might be your location, if you're in a high-kill area and really want to save two lives then getting two older bonded cats from a shelter is a great idea. There's often two cats at shelters around here that are bonded and won't be able to leave unless they leave together. But if you really want the kitten experience - they're a handful - go for two kittens, either from a shelter or purebreds.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 01-08-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Actually, you will find a lot of shelters will get bonded kittens in their shelters (maybe 8 months or so, old enough so that they could have a deep bond) that they will not adopt out unless they are together because it would be too hard on the cats.

A lot of the time they find it hard to adopt out two cats at once unless that's what someone is looking for (as is your case)so they will usually charge you the price of one kitty for the both of them. That's a great way to get a pair of cats because they could be stuck at the shelter for quite some time, because people just don't want to adopt two cats at once.

If you can't find a bonded pair they're not willing to separate, and instead just have to go for two cats that are already friends just ask the shelter staff, they'll be able to point you to the cats that fit what you want.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Although I am partial to ragdolls( I adopted an adult) I also recommend rescuing two from a rescue or shelter. My two youngest are from a rescue as kittens and became bonded as soon as they were put in a cage together. I adopted them two weeks apart but they remembered each other instantly and are still very bonded to this day.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I am so sorry to hear about your wife and cats... (((hugs)))

And I second others - go to the shelter or find rescue group, talk to them. there is a high chance that they have two bonded cats and you can take them both. when I was looking for cats to adopt, my local rescue group offered me few pairs of bonded cats and they would not agree to separate them.

also, adopting litter mates does not necessary mean that they will be bonded. they will most likely tolerate each other, but there might be no love between them. I have two siblings from the same litter, they are two years old, they get along ok, but they dont sleep together, dont groom each other... yet
i am waiting for that day to happen
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I got 2 cats from the shelter at different times and they get along great! I had to pill my first cat when I first got him and he never struggled and swallowed it without complaint. It wasn't until later that I found I could just put a pill in some canned food and he will eat it just like it wasn't there, LOL!

I've never had to pill my female, but I brush all of my cats teeth, brush, bathe, etc with minimal struggle. They all have their claws and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you get a couple younger cats I think it'll be a little easier to 'mold' them into the adult cats that you want. Good Luck and I hope you have a better 2013!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiepoo View Post
Actually, you will find a lot of shelters will get bonded kittens in their shelters (maybe 8 months or so, old enough so that they could have a deep bond) that they will not adopt out unless they are together because it would be too hard on the cats.

A lot of the time they find it hard to adopt out two cats at once unless that's what someone is looking for (as is your case)so they will usually charge you the price of one kitty for the both of them. That's a great way to get a pair of cats because they could be stuck at the shelter for quite some time, because people just don't want to adopt two cats at once.
I had no idea about that - it sounds very promising. Another advantage of getting an adult cat is that I can determine before I adopt them how easily they tolerate handling, grooming, and routine health care activities.

Kittens, of course, are adorable and I would certainly miss that, but it's not a deal-breaker. But the cat should still be young - after just going through the deaths of two beloved cats so close together I'm still shaken up by that and want to have quite a few years before I have to go through that again.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My girls were from the same shelter but we adopted them a year apart and they love eachother. we introduced them slowly and we were very lucky that they bonded so quickly. The reason that we got a second kitty was because I saw a bonded pair of siblings for adoption that I fell in love with but my fiance wouldnt let me get another two they were adorable together and I still feel bad that we couldnt take them as the adoption place told us its much harder to adopt out pairs of adult bonded cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread