When does a female cat start acting more mature? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Generally speaking it's true cats tend to mellow out around 2 yrs. or more. But a lot depends on the breed, or personality of the cat itself. Abysinnians and Cornish Rex are the energizer bunnies of the cat world, whereas my Devon Rex are now just mellowing out and sleeping a bit more now that they're both 7 y.o. and it's dull winter days, but they still have their crazy periods and are still getting into all sorts of mischief. Some cats are forever kitties in their play until in their very late senior years, say 15+.

Are there any particular personality traits that are specifically related to Tabbys?
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
Are there any particular personality traits that are specifically related to Tabbys?
Tabby is a coat pattern and not a breed so no, not really.

Even among cats with discernible breeds and registered papers, the cats are often very individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsaidfed View Post
I'm so glad i got my boy as a kitten (11 weeks). He's 11 months now, and I'm so happy to have had that experience and bonding time for my first cat.

That being said, I think any new additions will be a year or two old. The last 8 months have been a LOT of work and he's been a very easy cat. I can't imagine having an actual troublemaker on my hands.

I always tell people that he puked just enough, ruined just enough of my things, and injured me just enough times to be mischievous but still adorable. I have lots of cute stories and no real complaints.

I have found that bonding may take longer with older cats, but it is SO worth it in the end. We raised Maggie from when she was 2 days old. She was our stray Annie's baby so we kept her too. She was always a bit schizoid and never bonded with us at all. Strangest cat I'd ever had. I don't discount kittens, I just don't want to go through the crazy kitten periods of climbing up the curtains or my pants legs!

Besides, most everyone else loves kittens and relatively few will adopt the older cat - that's where I step in! They need lovin' too!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Tabby is a coat pattern and not a breed so no, not really.Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Well, she cost me $500 from the pet store, so she must have some breeding----unless they just go with the (good) temperament and health history of the parents and grandparents, etc., (i.e., if the cat has good genes) to determine the price?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Totally depends on the cat in my experience. Maisie acted more mellow when I got him (age two) than Zephyr does now at age six. Energy levels and playfulness are very individual.

Quote:
Well, she cost me $500 from the pet store, so she must have some breeding----unless they just go with the (good) temperament and health history of the parents and grandparents, etc., (i.e., if the cat has good genes) to determine the price?
I don't think that that follows. You were willing to spend $500 on her not knowing any of the background... so why wouldn't they charge as much as they can get? A pet store is a business, supply and demand. You can't judge a cat's value by the monetary cost.

I'm sure she's a nice pet, but our shelter mutt cats are nice pets too.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
I'm sure she's a great addition to the family and worth every penny. I don't mean to be rude, and i hope you didn't take my previous comment the wrong way. Without papers she is not likely to be any particular breed.

Obviously none of that really matters. What matters is that you've given her a loving home!

rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Obviously none of that really matters. What matters is that you've given her a loving home! Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Indeed. Worth every penny.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default When does a female cat start acting more mature?

Some breeds are naturally energetic. Yuki's a Bengal and she's only just starting to calm down a little at age 4 1/2. She's an only cat though and I play with her throughout the day and right before bed. Our old vet told me they usually start calming down around 3.

Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Did the vet mean 3 for Bengals, or 3 for cats in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement