Very Vocal Cat at Night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Very Vocal Cat at Night

Hi All,
Our family adopted a healthy 1 1/2 year old cat a few months ago. She is perfect in everyway except about a month ago she starts to meow around 4:30am until we wake up around 6am. It is to the point where the only way we halfway are able to to sleep is to get up and put her in the downstairs bathroom and even then we can slightly hear her. However, for the past few days she has been waking up at 2:30am and meowing until 6am. I am not sure what to do, she eats twice a day and has treats before we go to bed. She is very active in the evening, we play with her etc, until bedtime. She is spayed. We are at a loss and very sleepy, can someone please lend advice?

Kattysmom
Kattysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

I would leave her a small bowl of dry food out overnight and see if that helps.
SteveInConverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

yeah just leave some food out for her.
iCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Default From OP

I think leaving the food out is a great idea for the exception that she looooovvveeess to eat and I am afraid that the food would be gone in 2 minutes. However, at this point anything is worth a try.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Mine is the same but its random and I feed him every night before bed. I mean i leave a bowl of dry with his wet and he finishes the wet and leaves the dry to munch on. I think if he's just feeling energetic and playing or just neeeds some attention he'll start meowing. I hope he doesn't get too bothersome though because I don't want to have to shut him out of my bedroom at night because that would not only result in hims cratching the door but also would suck because I love it when he sleeps with me.
AaronR1074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I know they're kinda expensive but you can get automatic feeding bowls that open at whatever times you set them at. A cheaper option might be a rubber treat ball. I have a hard plastic treat ball and a rubber one. The plastic one makes more noise on hardwood floors at night though. My daughter bought Yuki a ball that flashes when it's moved. It's nice and quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

I agree with the dry food idea but I'd like to stress that the portion should be small. You don't want her to eat so much that she avoids her wet food. Cats really need the fluids, so use kibble sparingly.
Saydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Default From OP

Hi All,

I tried feeding Katty last night right before bed. As I suspected, she ate her food, came to bed, and then started wailing, chirping, and meowing from 2:30 to 5:45 this morning. Needless to say, my husband and I are really sleepy now.

I saw from other posters to try an automatic feeder and a treat ball. I think the treat ball may hold her attention. So from what I understand, everyone thinks she is bored??? If so, do you think she is wailing and meowing all day when we are at work?

Kattysmom
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattysmom View Post
Hi All,
I saw from other posters to try an automatic feeder and a treat ball. I think the treat ball may hold her attention. So from what I understand, everyone thinks she is bored??? If so, do you think she is wailing and meowing all day when we are at work?
Kattysmom
Hi Kattysmom,

I'm sorry that you've been having such a tough time with kitty waking you up so early.

I couldn't say for sure, not having met your cat, but cats don't tend to do a lot of meowing when their humans aren't around. Cats don't really need to meow to communicate with other cats, prefering body language or more subtle vocalizations like chirps and trills. Meowing is primarily a means of communicating with people--who're a bit slow on the uptake. So, most cats don't do much meowing when they know no one's home.

One of my previous kitties did meow quite loudly sometimes when everyone else would leave if I was upstairs behind a closed door. I don't know if he was searching for me or wasn't sure if he was alone and was trying to attract the attention of anyone who might still be around, but it was a very distinctive meow that he would only do in that situation. It was sort of a two part meow with a lower meow followed by a higher -ow, which gave it a questioning tone; amusingly enough, it sounded phonetically like "Hel-lo?" He only did it for a short time after people left and it wasn't constant, then he would go find somewhere to sleep.

Keeping in mind that cats are naturally more active at night, it is likely, considering how much cats sleep (around 16 hours a day!), that, with you and your husband away during the day, Katty is spending much of that time sleeping. If she's slept all day, it might be quite natural for her to feel alert when she wakes up at 4am.

You said that Katty picked up the behaviour about a month ago. Did anything change that might have precipitated the meowing, such as your routine or Katty's environment?

The most important clue to solving the problem seems to me to be determining why Katty's meowing, as that will affect what steps you'll need to take to stop the behaviour. Do you get a sense of what she wants when she meows in the early morning? Does she try and lead you to her food bowl, for instance, when you get up to try and get her to be quiet, or does she act as if she wants to play?

Last edited by dt8thd; 01-11-2013 at 12:46 PM.
dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Default From OP

Forgive me if my last post may have been a little confusing. We are first time cat parents and are trying to distinguish the difference between meow's and chirps etc.

So nothing has changed in the house nor our routine- no holiday house guests etc. My thought is that when she really started to settle in and made our house hers was when the behavior started. Now that I have listened to Youtube- it sounds like she is chirping at 2:30 or 4:30 in the morning. So around 2:30am she comes into the room and chirps- goes around to either side or the head of the bed and starts scratching the mattress. Of course we get up and as we head toward the door she runs in front of us maybe assuming that we are going downstairs, we then shut the door. A few minutes later she is outside of the door chirping and wailing.

We will go out this weekend and get interactive night toys and an automatic feeder. However, I have searched online for a feeder that will distribute treat size amounts rather than an actual dinner portion. Does anyone know of a feeder?

Kattys Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement