HELP - Covered litter box issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default HELP - Covered litter box issues

Hi I have two 8 month old kittens and introduced them to a covered litter tray about 3 weeks ago. They are really messy and kick the litter all over the place. I know they are only covering their waste enthusiasticaly. Well last night I added the flap door onto the box, and put each cat in and let them figure out how to get out. Both cats managed to.get out in seconds. But to my dismay today I found poo on the floor behind the box There was also poo in the box. So advice needed. Do I remove flap immediately or wait for a few days? Using litter box has never been a problem so don't want to start now. Thanks for the help. r .flap
annegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I had to take the lid off of my boxes and get another one because of this. My older cat would attack the younger one. Plus, she couldn't figure out how to get out even though she had done it before. I just have to clean the box more and sweep up a few times a day.

Sorry I am not any help
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I had to remove the flap too. Bee just couldnt figure the in and out bit. she went in and then meowed to get out. it still does the trick but i also have to sweep in front of the box.
britishvixen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

The only suggestion besides removing the flap is to tape it up and slowly lower it, so the cats get used to it.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the door off. Didn't want to risk starting the habit of pooing on the floor. Will have a think about it and maybe try again later. Again if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
The only suggestion besides removing the flap is to tape it up and slowly lower it, so the cats get used to it.
That is how I introduced all of my cats to the kitty door that leads to the screened in porch. Two cats never really accepted it though. I would remove it and replace it with something soft like a piece of cloth or clear plastic (old piece of shower curtain liner) see if they don't accept that better.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

There are no flaps on my litter boxes. They can't stand them and the flaps have always been a little wonky. If you keep the box clean, you shouldn't smell much without the flap.
Robin1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Many cats don't like a covered litter box. You could try getting something like a sweater container (or something like that)-it's long and has high sides. It doesn't have to be specfically a litter box. It could be the litter your using that causes it to track. I use special kitty from wal mart. I have rugs and i don't have that problem.

Kathy
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Again thanks for the responses. My cats are really ok with the cover over the box it is just the door. I have figured out that Lola is fine with the door but Tigerlily is the one struggling. I have taken the door off for the moment. Every now and again I put it back on and put the girls in and again they have to get out. Tiger struggles with it so will just keep at it and eventually she may get more used to it and then can leave it on full time. Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

yes, she may figure it out. Jack had trouble with our cat door to the porch, but after a couple months he's got it down pat now. His biggest problem is squeezing his 20 pound girth through a 15 pound cat door!!!!!

Last edited by marie73; 01-16-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Marcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement