Help! Need a Goodnight's Rest - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Help! Need a Goodnight's Rest

Hi All,

I am posting again because my husband and I are desperate for a good night's sleep.

So here's the short version, we adopted our adorable gray tabby back in November. She has settled in very well and is getting along great with the dog. No litter box problems, she is perfect for the exception that 4:30am EVERY morning she comes into our bedroom and chirps and shrills until we have to get up and put her out of the room. Then she sits outside of the door and continues to chirp and shrill until we get up again and put her in the bathroom downstairs until we wake up around 6:30am.
About twice a week she will do this at 2am and then again at 4:30.

We aren't sure why this is happening, it didn't happen when we first got her. Nothing has changed in the house nor our routine. We took advice from other posters on feeding her a late night treat and buying her plenty of interactive glow in the dark, laser toys etc. She only likes the treat toy but doesn't play with the rest.

Any other advice????? We would love to sleep through the night.

PS She has a clean bill of health and is spayed.

Kattysmom
Kattysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Our cats get active about then too and Missy is a hisser at Maddie and Jack so it's quite annoying. Sometimes I don't mind getting up, like I did this AM at 4:30, or sometimes my husband will, but most of the time I just get up and lock Missy and Zipper (buddies) in the bathroom. We call it Kitty Prison and it's only for a couple hours. We can't hear the complaining from the hallway bath (if any) because we have a fan on at night for white noise. Besides, they are joyous when I let them out! =D
We never sleep past 6:30.

Last edited by marie73; 01-16-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Tinker bangs on the bedroom door every morning at 4am, or sooner if he hears us move. Ignoring him stops him more then seeing to him does. Id get up each time but then he would demand cuddles. Now we ignore him and he normally gives up within 5-10 mins.

I dont mind giving him morning cuddles but it relaxes me and I fall asleep so then he hits.me in the face or bangs on the door again to wake me back up!
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

oh man, I know that feeling. Just the other morning Sadie took just about every one of her foil crinkle balls out of the toy basket during the middle of the night and proceeded to bat them around in the bedroom, meowing almost constantly and then jumping up on the bed and dropping the toys next to me. I took them all and hid them under the pillow just so she would stop!
She also insists on sticking her face right into mine like she's trying to give me a kiss on the lips early in the morning, lol.

For a cat that is looking for attention, though, I would suggest ignoring them and eventually they'll give up. Any attention you give her will just encourage the behavior more.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I sympathize... In university my roommate's cat used to do the same thing to me. It almost put me off cats for life. I saw something like this:
Amazon.com: Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent: Pet Supplies
used on My Cat from **** with Jackson Galaxy for this very purpose. Just position it outside your closed bedroom door at night and it should condition your cat to stay away by blowing air at them when they come close.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Did you try an interactive toy like Da Bird? Those usually get the cat to exercise a lot more. Do it until she's panting and hopefully she'll be too tired to bother whining in the morning

Also, when do you feed her her last meal? Is it possible to feed her later at night, rather than just giving her a snack at night?

I had this issue when I first got my cat and I solved it by feeding him 2 hours before bedtime and playing with him for 15 mins (using a toy like Da Bird that gets him running around) before his dinner.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Some people here use the vacuum cleaner method. Close your door with the vacuum cleaner in your room, up against the door. When she starts meowing at the door, turn it on.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement