Cat going to the bathroom everywhere. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat going to the bathroom everywhere.

I need some help. My little boy (Chance) is going to the bathroom everywhere but in his litter box. The vet says that nothing is wrong and he has no idea what the problem is. I have tried everything different litter, more boxes, self cleaning boxes, bigger box, smaller box. Locking him the the room with a fresh box. My husband is ready to kill him and I don't know what else to do.

A little back story.
I found chance when he was about 2 weeks old. He weighed 4oz and his mom was not taking care of him. Chances family are all feral cats. He was on deaths door when I found him. My vet said he would not have made it the rest of the day had I not brought him in. He was very dehydrated and covered with fleas. They had to keep him over night and give him IV fluids.
I got to bring him home the next day!
I bottle raised him and he is my baby, but I am starting to feel like I have no options but to live like this. My husband is not an animal person and I have to hear it from him everyday about how my cat is making the house smell and how the smell will never come out of the carpet.

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated. I have no plans to get rid of my cat, but I can't keep this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Baranovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh this is tough. How old is kitty? YEARS and years ago - maybe 1986 - we adopted a kitten from the SPCA. She was adorable, but ever so young. SPCA said that she had been abandoned by the momma and the volunteers bottle nursed her. She was never right in the head though. She pooped and peed everywhere but in the boxes. I ended up taking her back after about 10 days and they probably euthanized her. I never followed up, it was just to tramautic an experience for me at the time.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Chance is almost 2. He acts a little crazy sometime, but I think that's just his playful side. I could never get rid of him, he just means to much to me.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Has he been doing this the entire time you've had him? If not, how long has it been going on?
Does he ever use the litter box?
What does he pee on instead?
What sort of tests have you had the vet do to rule out a medical issue?
It sounds like you've tried a lot of different things with the litter. What kind of litters have you tried? Just clay, clumping, non clumping, wheat or corn based, etc... covered box, open box, putting it in different locations...?
What other things have you tried?
How is his temperament otherwise? friendly, high strung/stressed..?
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

He has been doing it the entire time. It's only become a problem now because I work now and can't hide it from my husband anymore, I was spot cleaning the carpet every time before. I have tried open and closed boxes with and without doors. Clay, clumping and non clumping, yesterday's news, wheat litter and I have even tried the kitten attract litter and the stuff you put in the litter to attract cats to it. I have tried the litter pan that goes on the toilet as well. The vet did blood work and took samples of stool and urine.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Oh he very friendly and not high strung at all. He is very lovable as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

When you said you locked him in a room with a fresh box....for how long? Does he just pee on carpet or other surfaces? Are there any other animals in the house? If other cats....how many and how many boxes do you have? Is he declawed?

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

He has only ever peed on the carpet not the hardwood, or tile. I have another cat who is 7. I have 2 boxes now, I did have 3 but that did not help so I got rid of one.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

He was in the room all day while I was at work 9 hrs or so. Yes he is declawed, but so is my other cat and so was my cats before him and they never had a problem with the litter box. I don't want to get defensive but I don't think having a cat declawed has anything to do with litter training or not using a box. I am sorry if that was not why you asked.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Did your vet take X-rays of his bladder or spine? Did they do a full urinalysis? Does he cry in pain when urinating?

Advertisement