My new cat is hiding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default My new cat is hiding

under the bed and won't come out. My Danna my other resident cat seems not to like him either. They are both afraid of each other. I rescued this kitty again at my moms yard because she feeds cats and this one was so friendly. After the death of my Blackie, I though my Danna needed a companion therefore I got this cat and had him vaccinated and neutered yesterday. I am afraid they will not get along..what to do? what to do?
Lineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Try playing soft Jazz, I don't know why but worked to get Abigail out from under my bed once.
soonersseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

They just need time. The new one is probably scared of his new surroundings and the other one is wondering what kind of sorcery materialized another cat in her home. Even if they don't become the best of buddies, they will learn to coexist together. Congratulations on your new kitty. Would love to see pictures of your fur babies.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I would give them some time. Its going to be strange for both of them at first. Try putting the new kitty in your room and closing the door. The privacy might help him adjust to the new environment a little better. Once he starts coming out then you can try introducing your other kitty a little at a time. Are they both full grown? Its harder for adults to adjust, but they will probably warm up to eachother after a while.
Bonnie037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I agree that both of your cats need time to adjust to the change.Mitsey hid for the first 3 days when I brought her home. She would sneak out to eat or use the litterbox when we were in the bed.Rico on the other hand was ready to come out and explore within a couple of hours of being here.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

How long does it take for cats to get adjusted to their new surroundings? Both my cats periodically hide under my bed, and they have been living with my for almost a month now.
asadikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Some cats just enjoy hiding. My Gypsie is 8 years old and still spends a lot of time under my bed. She comes out when she wants some attention but when she doesnt want to be messed with she goes under the bed or dresser (did I mention she's a bit of a snob?). As long as your kitties come out for a little bit everyday I think they're probably ok.
Bonnie037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineth View Post
under the bed and won't come out. My Danna my other resident cat seems not to like him either. They are both afraid of each other. I rescued this kitty again at my moms yard because she feeds cats and this one was so friendly. After the death of my Blackie, I though my Danna needed a companion therefore I got this cat and had him vaccinated and neutered yesterday. I am afraid they will not get along..what to do? what to do?
Try some isolation for awhile! Put new kitty in a bedroom or another room with food, water and litter box by himself (closed door) and keep him away from the other. Spend time with him alone. Let him come out to visit you on HIS terms. Once he is comfortable with that room you can wedge the door open so they can sniff each other. After that, you can let him roam a bit further but keep them apart using baby gates, cardboard or anything that will block larger areas. I have a two story house so isolating is pretty easy. A few days of this may be enough. They may not like each other now but normally in a few weeks or so they will tolerate each other - maybe even more. Hissing is normal and may go on for weeks - I wouldn't worry about it. Arm to arm combat may be an issue but not necessarily a deal breaker depending on how bad or how long.

Last edited by Marcia; 01-18-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The new kitty was neutered yesterday? He is probably in pain. I would isolate and try to get him from under the bed so you can administer pain meds twice a day. My kitten was very sedate for a week after his neuter
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement