Cat gets angry at me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Cat gets angry at me?

Beans is around 10 months old or so now, and he has anger problems or something. He randomly gets really angry looking at attacks me, lunging and biting/scratching me wherever he can reach. Sometimes he gets like this just from me walking by. I know it's not him just playing as his ears go back and he gets this really determined angry look in his eyes. He's been doing this for months, but now that he's getting bigger it's starting to really hurt. He was neutered about a month ago, i was hoping that would help calm him down but so far no change. He's not always angry though, he can be cuddly too.

Any ideas why he's like this and how to stop it?
pllamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

OUCH! time for a vet check!! Rule out medical.
Our Maggie was psychotic - I always believed she had mental issues (e.g., saw ghosts and attacked them) - just weird, I can't really explain. Out of desperation I gave her one tablet of Calms Forte (available from GNC) and that took the edge off her neurotic behavior for a day or two. I told vet about it at the time and she said if it helped kitty it was fine - we had ruled out physical by then. I continued for awhile and it seemed to help. Check with vet about it. (research it and bring the info to vet visit so she/he can look at it there).

As Maggie got older she settled down - not alot but some. At 12 she suddenly died from what I think might have been a brain aneurysm. One day I got up and heard this pitiful meow from one of the bedroom and she was just laying there with a bit of blood coming out of her mouth. She looked to be in shock. Within 20 minutes she was dead. I think she was holding on waiting for me to get up. I looked for chewed wires, places to fall from - nothing. I never knew what killed her so I deduced it was her brain from all the self induced stress (and ghosts in her head). Anyways, try the Calms Forte if vet ok's.
p.s., be careful about bites - I ended up in the hospital for a week with talks of amputation because of a cat bite. It was deep and infection traveled hard and fast up my arm. Within 12 hours I was on a morphine IV drip! If you get a bad bite, get it looked at. Sometimes I am amazed that I still love cats!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

By 9 months, he was sexually mature and that is too long to wait to have him neutered as his hormones would have been flowing by then. It may take another month before the male testosterone hormone has dissipated from his body. So be patient. Have paper/foil balls or little stuffed mousies handy or in your pocket to throw to distract him when he gets that "angry look" in his eyes before he attacks. Make a "pssst pssst" sound and then throw the toy. You can vary this with teaching him "to come" for a treat. If he attacks without warning, stand up, stomp your foot on the floor with a stern "no" and walk away and ignore him. Hopefully he will soon learn that attacking gets no attention, but if you ask him to come or give a "pssst pssst" sound it will mean a play toy.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

He might just be playful. They forget that we don't have fur. Does he growl? How bad are the scratches? My Percy,laid back as he was,sometimes nipped or scratched.
bluemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I second asking the vet. I'd suggest making sure the attacks are random, and not some pattern or some behavior that spurs it. For example: my cat will be totally happy lying on my lap, sleeping even, and acting so sweetly, but then if I move my arm in a certain way (like flipping a page a way that annoys her or typing over her) she'll attack. Or if she's lying happily on the couch/bed next to me and I have my ankles exposed..bad news there (I have to cover them with a throw or something).. Or if someone walks past her in the hall wearing black or gray socks, she'll attack. And, like you, it's not just playful (after a while the hallway attacks just become amusing.. like, come on, you're a 6lb cat lol).

And wow, the coincidence, real-time example, my cat just wandered up onto my lap, purring loudly, but.. she is lying over one of my forearms, and despite how happy she is this very moment, I know from experience that if I keep typing without extracting my arm pronto (involves distracting her with petting from my other hand and carefully removing the arm she's on), I'm going to have fresh teeth marks in my wrist..and now my arm is removed and we (cat and I) are both happy.

So, if your Beans is like my cat, and there isn't some underlying medical condition, and if you can somehow learn more about the patterns, it'll be completely worth it. Mine is 16 and she means the world to me, despite being this way her entire life.
ezmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Can you keep a spray bottle handy so when the attack starts, you spray and indicate displeasure. The feral cat we found was almost 2 and spraying everywhere. We caught him to have him fixed. He never left but he is more aggressive than his male counterparts were at that age...still...we enforced the no biting rule and he has been pretty good about it. He may grab my arm by his teeth (if I stroke him more than he prefers) but never a mark..he knows his limit and lets go the moment I loudly say "NO."
It sounds like your cat may simply be youthful and full spirited and needs to be taught the limits in his new home. Good Luck!
wallycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
Can you keep a spray bottle handy so when the attack starts, you spray and indicate displeasure. The feral cat we found was almost 2 and spraying everywhere. We caught him to have him fixed. He never left but he is more aggressive than his male counterparts were at that age...still...we enforced the no biting rule and he has been pretty good about it. He may grab my arm by his teeth (if I stroke him more than he prefers) but never a mark..he knows his limit and lets go the moment I loudly say "NO."
It sounds like your cat may simply be youthful and full spirited and needs to be taught the limits in his new home. Good Luck!
you're lucky that worked for you, spray bottles never failed to only annoy my cat more
ezmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

ET knows his limits now, he hardly bite now (for some 4months or so) like he used to, even if he does, its very lightly, even if he paws, its with retracted claws. He used to draw blood and leave scars with his teeth and claw. It almost always happened very unexpectedly and very quick, so I didn't get any chance to reach for the water spray. What I did each time he gave me a bite and scratch was, to raise my voice and said "no", then lecture him. Confine him in his room first, then I go back in, show him my wound and kept lecturing him and repeatedly say "No bite bite, pain pain", afterwhich I will stroke him, to let him know everything's ok. Repeat that each time he bite or scratch, for a couple of months, I think he finally got the message, he doesn't do it now, not at least for the past 4 months or so.

But anyway, I guess, different cats need different methods of discipline. One method may work for one, doesn't mean it will work for all, but no harm trying every methods available.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Stellaluna sometimes does this, it was caused because she was blind in one eye therefore startled easily. We learned to approach her slow always using sound so she knew we were coming near her. Not saying this is what is causing it for your kitty, but I second getting a check up with a vet.
StellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

You know cat language, USE it! If he corners you and wants to attack, yowl at him! If he attacks like a sneak whirl around and hiss at him; if he doesn't back down, yowl. He is trying to be top cat; show him YOU are top cat. You out weigh him, out think him and I am sure if you practice, you can out yowl him. Use the language!

This past fall we went to a hayride on a strange farm. They had a barnfull of cats and I sat down after the ride and was petting the friendlier cats. A big mangy barn tom came out and started growling at me, ears back, eyes blown, stiff-legged and ready for a fight. I stopped petting the cats who backed off and disappeared and stood up and kept my eyes on the old tom. He gave a yowl and started for me and I gave a yowl and started toward him. One minute later, he was no where to be seen. One of the farm employees said the farmer was thinking of shooting him because he was scaring the customers. I told the employee the cat wasn't stupid and knew I was bigger than him and if I yowled him I figured he would back down; and he did.

Call his bluff and tell him you are no longer taking his crap!

Last edited by LaurulFeatherCat; 01-19-2013 at 10:27 AM.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement