Jealous cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Jealous cat?

Do your cats get jealous?

Ziggy will cuddle anywhere, but Moosey prefers to cuddle in bed. She is so happy when I am in bed and she seems to purr louder than when I am petting her off the bed.

This morning, Moosey and I were cuddling and then I got up to feed them. Ziggy finished first and came in our room and was walking around. Moosey cam in and starting terrorizing her, so Ziggy jumped up in the bed and started cuddling with me. Moosey jumped up there and was taken aback by my betrayal. She just stared at me for a good 30 seconds, then turn her back to me. Once Ziggy jumped down a few mins later, I sat up to pet Moosey but she seemed to be mad at me. Since then, she has been fine. We were playing and now she is napping, but for those few minutes she really seemed jealous.

They tolerate each other and try to play, but Moosey is so much bigger than Ziggy, so Ziggy feels threatened.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Yep exactly the same! Tinker is nearly 4 and the kittens are about 15 weeks. He plays with them etc but will not come for cuddles on the sofa anymore. The couple of times he has he walks off in a stink whenever a kitten comes close. He too prefers cuddles in bed because the its the only place kittens cant go that he can.

Last week my boyfriend let the kittens in our room and Tinker didnt realise. He jumped on the bed and saw a kitten on my lap and he have me a look of sheer disgust! He didnt speak to me for the rest of the day!

I give Tinker extra bed cuddles now, makes him happy
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Poor Tinker! For me it is weird because they were adopted at the same time.

Moosey acts like she owns the place and we all just kind of hang out here and feed her. Ziggy kind of "slinks" around and tries not to get in her way.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Jealous cat?

Anna never fully accepted sasha when we added her to the family. They get along but she still isn't friends with her. Anytime Anna is on my lap cuddling me, if Sasha tries to jump up to head butt or cuddle me, Anna will swat her until she is scared away. She also does that if Anna is cuddling her bonded sister(not actually related) and is Sasha comes over to see Sophie, Anna will do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My friend,s cat Mickey is SO jealous when my friend shows affection to either of her two other cats. Mickey will lay in wait and then when cuddled cat is put down she will attack her! She is patient, too!!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My pets always get jealous of eachother. My cats and dog always try to push eachother out of the way when Im giving them attention. They're usually pretty good about it though, they never fight about it.
Bonnie037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

We have a big grey tabby named Dante who basically tolerates the other cats in the house, with the exception of Galileo, whom he's somewhat friendly with--probably because Galileo was the only cat we had when we brought Dante in as a 4 week old kitten, as well as Leo's super calm, confident temprament. Dante is one of those cats that shelters typically describe as, "would be happiest as an only pet."

Dante is super sweet and affectionate when the other cats are sleeping, but if you pet him when any of the other cats are around, or they enter his field of vision while he's receiving attention, he'll either hiss and growl, lash out at the person patting him, lash out at the other cat, or leave the room (the last option being the least likely). Afterwards, he is often grumpy for the next couple of hours.

I imagine that Dante's behaviour is more insecurity than jealousy, but Dante and Cosette do occasionally duke it out when Dante has reacted badly to her showing up while I'm petting him. And, Cosy seems to get more irritated with him when I'm the person involved because she and I have a special bond. Galileo, Dante, and Cosette all got quite jealous when I brought my fosters, Autumn and Ramona, into the house, and they sulked for the first few weeks.
dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Holy cow!! I'm fortunate I guess. No displays of jealousy here but if I show affection to another cat while Zipper is sitting next to me I get sad the puppy dog eyes so I have to reassure her she is ALSO my favorite, but no displays of jealousy. I swear I can see what Zipper is thinking in her eyes. I love all of them and will spend quality time with however sits near or on me.

Last edited by marie73; 01-23-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

When you leave the room Tinker and the kittens cuddle up together but as soon as I come back he jumps out of the cuddling circle and pretends he was never there. Tinker get jealous if my boyfriend and I cuddle too. He will whine and whine and try to squeeze in between us!

Hehe oh I love my cats! <3
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Margaux used to be the only jealous one.

If I ever greeted Celia before Margaux when I got home, Margaux would turn her butt to me and walk away - wouldn't let me touch her. And whenever she saw that I was spending time with Celia, she'd just leave the room.

Since Margaux isn't a cuddle bunny at all, Celia, the supreme cuddle bunny, has been used to having lots of alone time with me. But Margaux's gotten more needy as she's gotten older, and she wants lots of head scratches now. And Celia doesn't like this new dynamic.

Celia loves having tummy rubs/full length body massages on my bed. Margaux doesn't come up there - she's blind, and she won't use the stairs I bought, so she sits on the floor next to the bed wanting head scratches. So I do this awkward leaning thing, one hand petting each cat. Well Celia can tell when my attention's not completely focused on her. She'll poke her head up, look at me with a sort of astonished "hey!" face, and either get sulky face or move away.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement