Simba doesnt squat to pee once in a while... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Question Simba doesnt squat to pee once in a while...

What could this mean? Is it anything to be concerned about?

hes still using the box and for that im extremely greatful! touching wood. the amount is very much a regular amount and didnt seem to be struggling at all like when he blocked up.

it seems to be occasional though.... is it just his mood at the time or something?? at first i thought he was trying to spray, but then it didnt make sense to spray your own litterbox... spraying is to enforce scent, but it already smells plenty like him!

I just wanted to make sure if i should be concerned about it or not... should i? maybe hes occasionally done this all along and i just havent really realized, hard to say...
Claiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yes, Zipper has this problem. She will walk into the litter box and raise her rump and pee all over the floor. I finally got smart after my newly refinished hardwood floor was ruined by urine flowing UNDER the box and seeping into the floorboards for a day. Ugh. Now I have an old shower curtain liner with (MANY) layers of newspaper on top of that under the box. The newspaper absorbs the urine and the liner blocks it from getting on the floor.
It's not Zip's fault and it doesn't happen ALL the time, but often enough. She tries so I accomodate with a bit of ingenuity.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Harli does this sometimes. She starts out squatting then raises her rump. She usually only pees at the back of the box, so I taped plastic placemats at the back.

Next time I replace litter boxes I will probably go for storage totes with a hole cut out in the front.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Harli does this sometimes. She starts out squatting then raises her rump. She usually only pees at the back of the box, so I taped plastic placemats at the back.

Next time I replace litter boxes I will probably go for storage totes with a hole cut out in the front.
wow! what a great idea! Never thought of that. That would solve alot of my problems. I used to use under the bed storage boxes, but they all had those depressed channels along the edge that were harder than heck to dig wet clumped litter out of. I hated them so tossed them after a few weeks.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have two huge storage boxes with holes cut in them. I think they're 18" x 30" and tall enough that I can keep the lids on them too. No drips over the sides. I found some that don't have any ridges in the bottom. But keeping the litter really deep will help prevent litter from sticking to the bottom (unless you have a cat that digs to the bottom and pees in the hole ). I cut the holes with a hot knife (soldering iron with a knife tip...about $15-20).

To answer the original question...no I don't think this is anything to worry about.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Nothing to be worried about--Ritz pees standing up, always has. Just one more thing to love about her.
And yeah, buy the tallest plastic box that you can find. (Ritz urine is 17" high.) And cut a whole in the side. Make sure you start up high enough, otherwise, the litter will fall out along the bottom. And thanks for the tip about depressed channels--next plastic box I buy I'll make sure there aren't any depressed channels. My current litter box has those depressed channels and it can be really hard to scoop the pee/litter.
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Only thing im noticing is the other cats discussed here are "shes" not "hes". any concern there at all?

luckily when we bought our newer litter box (his preferred location), we bought a high sides one to avoid litter getting kicked out. Now its serving 2 purposes!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claiken View Post
Only thing im noticing is the other cats discussed here are "shes" not "hes". any concern there at all?

luckily when we bought our newer litter box (his preferred location), we bought a high sides one to avoid litter getting kicked out. Now its serving 2 purposes!
No difference. One of my "she's" and my "he" will dig right in the center of the box, then deeply squat in it and cover it all up. Everyone else is either an edge pee-er or a rump lifter. Gotta love 'em all!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I caught Artie, yesterday, peeing in the corner with both feet up! He had curled his 'toes' around the top of the box and was hanging on, front paws were down in the litter....wish I had a picture of it.
crazy cat....
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Boo is kind of funny too, i think she somehow knows to accomodate for her longer fur. She will poop with both front legs and one back leg on the edge of the box, with her other back leg in the box, and poop that way. it was really quite something to see her do it for the first time!

but as far as simba, ive noticed his stream landing on the side of the box... so far not on the wall beside the box! But luckily its already higher sided or it would be on the wall!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement