Chino using the loo ALOT!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Exclamation Chino using the loo ALOT!!

My little kitten Chino, 10 weeks old now, is using the litter box, especially to poo (excuse the language) ALOT! He basically eats a little bit then goes to the litter box and leaves a parcel. I clean the litter box in the morning when i wake up and in the evening when i get home, sometimes before I go to bed too and each time it's full!

He is being fed Royal Canin Baby Cat and he doesn't eat all that much. Really only nibbles now and then. He has fresh water every morning and evening. He doesn't eat any of our human food, and we've given him some pouch soft food, but again, not much as he hasn't got a huge appetite.

His "solid parcels" arent really too runny and he isn't behaving weirdly.

But this morning he left a "parcel" at the bedroom door, with his litter box half a meter away.

I know kittens do use the loo alot because they haven't got big stomachs, but it seems this is excessive for one little kitten.

I don't mind cleaning his litter box so much, but it's becoming a problem because his litter box gets so full that he's starting to step in the "parcels" and it's getting on his paws and between his little toes...then he jumps on our bed and couches and leaves little paw-poo stains. He also flings the litter when cover it, which leaves poo all over. Luckily we use the crystals that dries it up pretty quickly, but also becomes sticky.

Any advice?
GSRit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Kittens tend to pee and poo a lot. It's normal. You might consider switching to a 100% wet grain-free diet or at the very least a grain-free dry food. Royal Canin Babycat is better than many brands but still leaves some to be desired. I'm not familiar with what brands are available in South Africa though so I can't make any recommendations.

How big is your litter box? My foster kitten started pooping outside her box. I got a new bigger box and the problem was solved. The box was simply too small. She still randomly pooped in the bathroom sink once... I have no idea why and she never did it again thankfully.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah, I know they poo alot, but ****!! He must be going like at least 10 times a day just to poo. I did read somewhere that kitten food contains alot of protein which adds to the frequent litter box visits.

His litter box isn't tiny, but it isn't huge either...at a guess it's about 60cm long x 40cm wide...

Otherwise he's a happy kitty, except when i take him to the basin to wash the poo and crystals off from between his paws... get a few scratches and a squirming cat!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

i've had two kittens fairly recently (3 and 6 years, some people might think that's a long time but i can still remember ) and neither of them poo'd ten times a day. three or four, probably. now that they're adults, once a day is about the norm. but all cats are different, so if he seems happy and playful aside from that, he's probably fine.

that box really doesn't seem very big. i know it's a little kitten but you're going to have to buy a bigger one soon anyway so might as well do it now, just to see.

and like scott said, that's not the very best food in the world plus i think it's pretty expensive, isn't it? you could get much better food for the same price. i don't know that higher protein kitten food would make him go more often, but corn/soy/wheat would because of the extra fiber, and the cat isn't really getting nutritional benefit from that anyway.

if you do change foods, do it slowly because kittens especially have gastric upset if you change the food too rapidly.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Watch him close. If he keeps it up, take him to the vet. They are so fragile at that age, you can never be too careful.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanx for the replies. We are taking him to the vet on friday for his shots, so will ask the Vet and see what they say.

Yeah am going to get a bigger litter box soon.

Will check his diet and the ingredients. Got home today and it wasn't too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement