Will I ever sleep again? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Will I ever sleep again?

(TL;DR? Go to the bottom to hear the short version of my story)

Moosey is my first cat. I adopted her November from an amazing shelter which allow the cats that aren't sick or aggressive to roam around the big room all day and lay on the bed and cat condos and enjoy the sun and get played with all day long. They feed grain free and the people are amazing. They do home checks and check in on the animals for the first few weeks.

Moosey was at the shelter for 9 months because she is missing most of her ear due to a TNR situation. (They thought she was a feral so they tipped the ear and hers got infected) Because of the infection, she wasn't able to be released and they found out she wasn't a feral, but just a very scared kitten living near a feral colony.

Anyway, I like to think she chose me, but I really think I did choose her because of her ear. I love animals with little quirks and couldn't get over why she hadn't been adopted. She was as sweet as pie, letting me pick her up and walk around with her and hug her and kiss her on the head.

(TL;DR? Start here)

For the first few weeks she was very scared but got better every day. She finally started sleeping in our bed, being such a snuggle bug. But now, she will wake me up in the middle of the night with kitty kisses (putting her wet nose on me) and tickling me with her wiskers (basically I wake up with a cat face in mine). She climbs on top of me, no matter if I am on my back or side and annoys me until I pet her or kneeds on my pillow and my face. And she is NOT a small cat. Since living with us she has gained some weight, and I feed her the same amount they did.

If I let Ziggy sleep with us too (my roommates cat) I am guaranteed zero sleep because Moosey gets jealous.

I work 40 hours a week and have to wake up at 7am and I love sleep, so by the time I am done with work at the end of the day, I am exhausted.

Does anyone have experience with this? I have tried shutting her out of the room, but she just meows and "Bangs" on the door until we open it. She has gone on for an hour before at the door.

Any advice?

Last edited by marie73; 01-29-2013 at 10:07 PM.
grrawritsjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have the same problem. Sometimes I have to get up at 5.00. Sometimes I can hardly move (the dog sleeps with me as well as well as three / four of the cats). Lottie will do almost anything to sleep on my chest and at least twice a night, Becky wakes me to come under the bed clothes and be cuddled, Jem likes to cuddle against me and Baz is a face nudger. The only consolation is that I have definitely adapted, in that, unless I am having a bad night anyway, I can do it on automatic pilot and go straight back to sleep.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

yes. you probably will sleep again. the first cat i got ('92) was a starvin' marvin siamese who had obviously been someone's pet. they trapped him under a dumpster off a busy street in a residential part of town and he only weighed six pounds and was filthy. i later got him back up to nine pounds and after a bath he looked like a cat again.

the one thing he didn't do immediately was howl and walk on me in bed for a few hours, starting about 1 AM. after i had him about three days he started that and it went on for about a month. i think he was missing his family, that's all i could think of.

all my cats snuggle me and knock things off the nightstand to get me up to feed them, but i sleep right through it so hopefully yours will settle down or you'll just get immune to it.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It will pass. Maybe feed her a little snack before bedtime. Sounds awfully sweet, though. I know it is hard now but it will get better.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I find with Teddy that the less time I spend with him throughout the day, the more times he wakes up during the night for snuggles. There are days when I tire him out by playing with him, and he sleeps through the night without waking me up even once. Other days when I spend a lot of time away, and too tired to play for too long, he will wake me up quite a few times begging for snuggles, attack my feet, and walking on me and my husband..
purr machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have a Bengal who is extremely vocal when he doesn't get his way. I don't like the cats sleeping in my room because they want to get up and go out halfway through.

To compromise I tire them out a bit and then feed them shortly before bed. For me this works out so that they immediately fall asleep on one of the beds I have placed for them in front of the fireplace (warmest place in the house even when it is off).

With the Bengal honestly I have just gotten used to it sometimes. I once had to put him in the 'cat room' with the door closed because I was bringing in a stray dog I found. Lets just say he can meow loudly, nonstop for HOURS so the tiring him out and feeding him compromise works MUCH better than waiting him out.
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you everyone for your help! I have been at work all day and not been able to check on here!

Quote:
Lottie will do almost anything to sleep on my chest and at least twice a night, Becky wakes me to come under the bed clothes and be cuddled, Jem likes to cuddle against me and Baz is a face nudger.
Yours are like mine, but they are all rolled into my one!

Quote:
all my cats snuggle me and knock things off the nightstand to get me up to feed them, but i sleep right through it so hopefully yours will settle down or you'll just get immune to it.
She always knocks my glasses or my phone off the nightstand and then sits on my boyfriend's keyboard which wakes up his computer which makes it so bright in our room it is like the sun came up. I hope I get immune to it soon. I don't see her calming down.

Quote:
It will pass. Maybe feed her a little snack before bedtime. Sounds awfully sweet, though. I know it is hard now but it will get better.
That is a great idea. I will start giving her a little snack before bed and play with her a little more. And it is super sweet, I really want to enjoy it, but it is SOOO HARD!

Quote:
I find with Teddy that the less time I spend with him throughout the day, the more times he wakes up during the night for snuggles.
I think this may be true. She doesn't do this during the weekends, which makes sense because I usually don't leave the apartment and she is probably like, "Hey, please quit talking to me and bothering me." I talk and sing to her and Ziggy all the time.

Quote:
they immediately fall asleep on one of the beds I have placed for them in front of the fireplace
My roommate bought a bed for Ziggy and I made a little pillow to put in a basket for Moosey (it is made out of a sort of stuffed animal material so it was really soft) but someone (I am hoping one of the cats, haha) peed all over both of them and then neither would lay it them.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you everyone for the help!

Last night I played with them and the laser for a good solid 1/2hr (running them up and down the stairs a lot, Moosey got tired pretty quickly, but Zigs was loving it) and then fed them a little dry before bed. Ziggy slept out of our room (my roommate was home last night, although I don't know if she slept with him) and Moosey slept with us on the bed all through the night. She woke up when my alarm went off and snuggled for 10 minutes before I had to get up.

I will be trying this again tonight to see if it works again!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You could wedge something in the door to keep it from rattling.......
You could go to bed at 7PM and hope for 8 hours of sleep total between wakeups.......
You could look for a job where you could work from home........
I think I would do the wedge the door thing. After a couple weeks they should give up.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrawritsjordi View Post
I have tried shutting her out of the room, but she just meows and "Bangs" on the door until we open it. She has gone on for an hour before at the door.

Any advice?
Put the vacuum cleaner outside right outside your closed door. RUn the cord under the door to a plug nearest your bed. Turn the vacuum ON but leave the cord unplugged. When she rattles the door or meows, plug the vacuum in to fire it up (remember, it's been left on). Then unplug it and go back to sleep.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement