Feline chew toys? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Feline chew toys?

This may be an odd question, but does ANYONE know of some feline chews? My youngest cat Khaleesi is 8 months old and loves chewing. I don't mean she nibbles things, I mean she will take a toy off into the corner and prop it between her paws like a dog and chew it into pieces. This scares me, as I am afraid she will ingest something toxic or get impacted. So I really need some ideas, I am considering buying some dog jerky like chews but I am having a hard time finding any without yucky unneeded ingredients (like smoke flavoring...blegh). I have bought her toys that are supposedly dental toys for cats but they aren't the right consistency. She loves rubbery things, soft enough to sink her teeth into but not too soft. Any ideas?

Jezahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My first cat used paperback books are her chew toys. Are you looking specifically for treats, or just toys? At any rate, there are some ideas here: Holistic Healthcare Library | Articles and Advice on Dog and Cat Health | Natural Pet Articles.

I hope you find something that works!
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Feline chew toys?

Nylabone makes some kitty dental toys. They're not really chew toys, but more for dental health. Either way, they're going to be a bit harder for her to destroy. I've seen small selections of their products in major pet stores.

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with buying puppy chew toys if she likes them. If anything, they're probably a little more rugged as people don't associate cats with excessive chewing. Store it in a baggy with some cat up if she likes that.

Also, cardboard boxes! When my kitten was young, that was his favorite. A nice strong sturdy box would entertain him for hours. While I tried to make sure he wasn't eating any of it, it didn't worry me as much if he did since its just paper.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezahb View Post
This may be an odd question, but does ANYONE know of some feline chews? My youngest cat Khaleesi is 8 months old and loves chewing. I don't mean she nibbles things, I mean she will take a toy off into the corner and prop it between her paws like a dog and chew it into pieces. This scares me, as I am afraid she will ingest something toxic or get impacted. So I really need some ideas, I am considering buying some dog jerky like chews but I am having a hard time finding any without yucky unneeded ingredients (like smoke flavoring...blegh). I have bought her toys that are supposedly dental toys for cats but they aren't the right consistency. She loves rubbery things, soft enough to sink her teeth into but not too soft. Any ideas?
I don't have any suggestions, but I must say that is one adorable name! When I was thinking about getting a cat I wanted to get a lighter one with blue eyes and name it Daenerys, but Moosey chose me and she already had a name "Mitzi" which I didn't want to change. So we call her Moosey and Mitzi just depending on how she is acting that day. Haha.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have given up giving my dog most chews (although he occasionally gets a bully stick which are safe to ingest but are smoked) because of the reason you mentioned- they are pretty much all smoked, many include smoked bones or weird ingredients. Instead I give him raw chicken feet as a treat. Not sure if your cat would like those plus you don't want them dragging a chicken foot all over the house. Other things he gets are raw knuckle bones (again messy and probably too big/hard for a cat) and elk antler (not messy, but probably way too hard for your cat to chew).

As far as soft rubber but not destructible I have good luck with JW Pet brand- the rubber is soft enough that it is fun for him to chew but not soft enough that he can break any off and ingest it.

I actually once got a very small size of senior (they are softer) kong toy and put some wet cat food in it- but my cat lost interest pretty fast.
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement