Why would she pee on material? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Why would she pee on material?

My grandson's cat was so sweet and always used the litter box. But, if you had anything on the floor that was material, she would pee on it. If any clothes on the floor, if a blanket slipped on the floor from the bed, a towel, etc. Why would she do that? Isn't that so strange?
kittyglitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yes, it is strange I think. Perhaps the litter is somewhat suitable for the most part, but given a softer option she prefers that. Was she recently declawed? Maybe a change of litter is in order, something not so granular or offensive? Just shooting in the dark.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Why would she pee on material?

Could she have a urinary tract infection? This will make her eliminate outside the box.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If this is a sudden change in behavior and nothing in her environment has changed (litter brand, box location, new people in the house, someone moved out, new source of stress...house construction for example, etc.) then she likely has a urinary tract infection and needs a vet visit.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I used to store some of my historic costumes in my sister's house, and the cat she had then used to wee on them (especially when she was in season) - she especially liked military uniforms...... Never fathomed it out!!!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It isn't strange at all. Usually when a cat doesn't pee in a litter box the most likely thing it will pee on given the chance is bedding or anything soft. They aren't likely to pee on hard surfaces.

Is the cat declawed? Has it been to the vet to check for a UTI?

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Here is the funny thing, thanks for your help also. She had always done this. She didn't have any medical problems. She would always use the l. box - but if there was something on the floor, material, that is what she went for. Funny thing, she was declawed and we did have another kitty here. They were the same age and arrived 2 weeks apart. Here is an example: I was cleaning out my closet and the clothes I was giving to the poor box, I was throwing in a pile on the right side of me. She came over, started to stoop over the clothes and pee - I screamed and she ran. What was that all about, I will never know.
kittyglitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

i think it's unusual but it happens. i have a cat who is six and he isn't declawed. i had a problem with him for a couple of years where he would pee in my bed because he wanted a litter box by my bed. he has been to the vet many times, the first being when he was 8 weeks old and i had just gotten him, because he had blood in his urine. the vet did all kinds of tests (x-rays, cystoscopy, urinalysis) and was baffled. he gave me some predisone, of which i got two quarters of a tablet in and it stopped and never came back. he has never had a UTI but he is also partial to clothing. i cannot leave a laundry basket out or he will pee on my clothes. i can keep it hidden for a year but the minute i leave one out, he will use it. he uses the litter box faithfully, it's just a quirk. he hasn't gone on my bed for 2 1/2 years.

he also peed on the hard plastic lid of a tidy cat container i saved to hold wood pellet litter. it wasn't long after i switched, so i assumed it was just some weird thing associated with him smelling the pine and letting me know he would use it? lol. i honestly have no idea why he does this. soft clothing i understand, a hard plastic lid, i do not.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement