Like Baby Ducklings - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Like Baby Ducklings

No matter what it is I leave my room for, my cats will follow me.
Every single time.
When I get up to use the bathroom and don't want to wake them, I move soooo painstakingly slowly I think I can get out and get back before they know I'm gone, but I feel stupid every time. lol Of course they hear me and follow me without fail into the bathroom. They even push the door open if I close it (the latch doesn't click shut).

I don't know if they think I'm leaving them, or if they're curious, or if it's a phase of being kittens. They're all 6 months old now, they've been with me for 4 months. But I feel badly when I wake them and make them worry about where I'm going. >_<
Tokkaebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Haha, I wouldn't worry about waking them. Cats are notorious for waking up and falling right back asleep. I wish I could sleep 17-20 hours a day and it be normal.

They just want to know what you are up to! They want in on all the action and gossip, little cuties. As I type, Zigs jumped up on the couch and is kneading me.

Always wants to know what is going on.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Cats probaly figure thet if they follow us around there is a chance they might get a treat, or git to be involved in something interesting.
vonPruescnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Your description of the painfully slow process of extricating yourself from under sleeping cats made me laugh--It's true, you can be as slow and careful as you like, they still always wake up. All but one of my kitties are adults, but some of them still follow me to the bathroom or wherever I happen to be going--one of the others uses the opportunity of my absence to steal my spot in the bed.

It's normal for cats to be curious about where their person is going and what they're doing, especially kittens, who are naturally less independant than adult kitties.

dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Like Baby Ducklings

Lol this made me laugh! Yuki sometimes races me to the bathroom because she likes to see the water swirl when I flush. Yep she also steals the warm spot in bed when I get up. At night she usually sleeps between my feet or behind my knees and I too try and remove myself without waking her up! Gotta love cats

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Two of my cats are getting wise to my pattern if they hear me in the bathroom at night. They sit up and wait for me to come back.
My black kitten, who is most shy, has finally become comfortable around me, despite still being a little skittish every now and then. But she will always come downstairs with me.
Now, though, I've started to wait for her at half points in my usual path and will call to her. She's learning to come to me when I say her name.
Tokkaebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

I don't think it's a kitten phase--my one year old cats still do this. One is like a shadow falling me from room to room, and my newer kitty (also 1) is like a shadow that I trip over every time I move.
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

My kitty is 9 yrs old and follows me from room to room....amazing...
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkaebi View Post
Two of my cats are getting wise to my pattern if they hear me in the bathroom at night. They sit up and wait for me to come back.
My black kitten, who is most shy, has finally become comfortable around me, despite still being a little skittish every now and then. But she will always come downstairs with me.
Now, though, I've started to wait for her at half points in my usual path and will call to her. She's learning to come to me when I say her name.
How cute! My Moosey was very skittish when we got her. She still doesn't like my roommate too much, but will stay in the room if he is around.

It is such a treat when a cat learns their name! I am so happy for you!!