I did something bad to Prince - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default I did something bad to Prince

It had never happened to me, I forgot him in the street for 9 hours. Early morning to mid-afternoon. I feel horrible about it and can't calm down.

My cats sometimes drive me crazy going in and out of the apt., in and out of the building, up and down the 5 floors of stairs, then with me in the elevator, but I never lose track of who is where. A momentary hesitation at the most. When I think one of them has been around enough, about 1 hour plus, I take them home. And I never go to bed without knowing where each of them is, inside the apt. of course. Almost all the time, at any given moment, I have at least an idea of which room each one is in. I never close a closet door before counting heads.

I keep replaying this morning in my head and just can't understand how I did this. I slept all day, then didn't worry too much when I didn't see Prince around because yesterday I looked for him for a long time, worried sick, to find him sleeping inside a huge material bag that contains a duvet, curled up inside the duvet, and I found him by chance because it was the last place I looked.

He ate a lot and went to bed and has been sleeping since, obviously exhausted. I know his worst fear is abandonment, and he cries if I leave him behind even for 1 minute, so this must've been an ordeal for him. He was waiting outside the building door.

The worst part is we can't ease our guilty feelings by compensating them, because they don't make the connection.

Fortunately it was an absolutely lovely Spring day and he was in the garden ,in the company of the strays, his friends, all the time.

Last edited by Straysmommy; 02-09-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It all worked out (thankfully) and I bet it will never happen again - you'll probably be careful to the point of paranoia from now on!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That's what's weird, I AM paranoid as it is, when it's about cats, so I just can't understand how I locked the door and went to bed without checking on him. Of course he left the apt. when I was outside the door with Princess, I didn't see him go out, but that happens a lot, so it's not a reason.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I left the door open on the cage of two kittens I was treating medically in my garage. I was treating several cats out there at the time and I spaced and had a blonde moment. The service door was open to my garage too. Luckily they stayed in the cage. Friends came over and found it opened and ripped me a new one. I felt really stupid. Needless to say it has never happened again.

Don't beat yourself up. It all worked out fine. Prince was smart enough to hang with his friends. You are a great cat mom. He knows it and loves you for it too!

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt he makes the connection of you letting him out. He probably had a nice evening out and may think twice about going outside next time.

You are a great cat mom! I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
It had never happened to me, I forgot him in the street for 9 hours. Early morning to mid-afternoon. I feel horrible about it and can't calm down.

My cats sometimes drive me crazy going in and out of the apt., in and out of the building, up and down the 5 floors of stairs, then with me in the elevator, but I never lose track of who is where. A momentary hesitation at the most. When I think one of them has been around enough, about 1 hour plus, I take them home. And I never go to bed without knowing where each of them is, inside the apt. of course. Almost all the time, at any given moment, I have at least an idea of which room each one is in. I never close a closet door before counting heads.

I keep replaying this morning in my head and just can't understand how I did this. I slept all day, then didn't worry too much when I didn't see Prince around because yesterday I looked for him for a long time, worried sick, to find him sleeping inside a huge material bag that contains a duvet, curled up inside the duvet, and I found him by chance because it was the last place I looked.

He ate a lot and went to bed and has been sleeping since, obviously exhausted. I know his worst fear is abandonment, and he cries if I leave him behind even for 1 minute, so this must've been an ordeal for him. He was waiting outside the building door.

The worst part is we can't ease our guilty feelings by compensating them, because they don't make the connection.

Fortunately it was an absolutely lovely Spring day and he was in the garden ,in the company of the strays, his friends, all the time.
I agree, so why bother? Chocolate will go a long way to ease the pain (for YOU of course!, not Prince!).
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I still feel so ashamed that I tiptoe around him.

Tess, I'm relieved that it didn't happen only to me...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

As pet owners and parents of humans, we all make mistakes. I made one this morning and called the vet but it looks like nothing and I dodged a bullet. Animals rebound easier than humans.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This thread was moved to Behavior because it's about Prince's reaction to your mistake.

Quote:

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

don't feel too bad. one night i was in and out a lot, then it got really late and i fell out into bed. i woke up with no cats on the bed. that wasn't weird for coda but diotima always sleeps with me. i got up and coda was at the end of the foyer (not by the door) and he was meowing at something. i went over to see what it was, and could hear faint meows on the other side. when i opened it, diotima was curled up by the door. she had obviously slept there all night. i felt really bad but if she sustained any trauma from it, she never showed it.

after i moved in here, some people were in and out, and someone rang my doorbell. a lady was standing there with diotima and she said, "is this yours?" LOL. that was a matter of 5 minutes tops. diotima doesn't tend to wander out anymore, and if the other two do, they come back pretty quickly. usually lol. there must be something interesting around the corner from the elevator bay. one night baci ran out, went over there and sat by the door. i had a hard time picking him up because he would dig his claws into the carpet and didn't want to come back. i used to know the people who lived there but they moved a long time ago, and he was never there anyway so i have no idea. must have smelled something good.

Last edited by marie73; 02-10-2013 at 06:47 PM.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement