Feline guilt trips? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Feline guilt trips?

Does anybody else's cat do this? When I have been ignoring my kitten Khaleesi for too long she will find her favorite toy (annoyingly it is a discontinued wand toy) and drag it around the apartment for a few minutes before dropping it at my feet with a sad meow and the most forlorn sad look on her face. It is her way of begging me to play, but she does it in a way that is purely her guilt tripping me! I find it unbelievably endearing and it gets me everytime...but I wonder if I am alone with having an emotionally manipulative kitty?

Jezahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

How cute is that! My tuxy does that too. Its hard to ignore.

One of the manipulative habits our ex feral does (I share him with my sister) that Im trying to break him of is to run around and do things that upset my sister. Scratch furniture, pick on other cats, keep walking over you. He wants to be let outside. My sister would fall for that every time.

When he is with me I correct him or ignore him but wont let him outside. I wont reenforce that annoying behavior. Cats are very good at train and manipulating humans. As my sweetie says "who is the dumby here?"

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Sometimes Ziggy will claw and meow at the cabinet that holds the treats, cat nip and extra toys. A lot of times we find a mouse or two in the bed that one of them brought to us to play.

They are most manipulative at feeding time. They meow and cry and walk all over me and get in my face and wont leave me alone until I feed them. I have not been reinforcing this behavior too much, but on the weekends it is so much easier to feed them so I can go back to sleep, since I work full time during the week.

Khaleesi seems like a real doll! I still absolutely love the name! Game of Thrones, FTW!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Princess has this heart-wrenching yowl she lets out only when she's truly in panic. She only did it 3 times - the night I trapped her, when I opened the carrier and she found herself in my bedroom instead of the streets that were all she knew. The 2nd time was when I drove her to the vet. The 3rd time was when she thought that I had abandoned her outside the apt. and closed the door (she was alone for about 30 seconds, that's all). A few days ago she let out this same yowl, but she immediately realized there was no reason to. It was a confusion on her part. But it didn't go unnoticed to her that when she lets out this yowl, I'm all hers for hours, dropping absolutely everything else. So for the last few days, every time she wants me to come pet her or play with her, she's been doing this yowling. LOL Cats are the masters and mistresses of manipulation!!
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My late cat Smoky was very bold and badly behaved, mainly b/c he was so cute when I got him as a kitten, I did not teach him good manners. (Fortunately I didn't make the same mistake w/ my son!) When I adopted Desmond, I decided that right off the bat, there were things I was not going to allow him to do, such as walk on me or the table while I'm eating. Today, he was trying to climb on my lap while I was eating and I made him get down, so he went over and sat in "his" chair and gave me the evil eye for awhile! But I know he'll get over being "mad" at me, the next time he wants something! I feel bad when I don't give in to him, but I always remind myself of "The Dog Whisperer" on television; he always maintained that the humans were supposed to be the "pack leaders", not the dogs. I know the same doesn't always apply to cats, but given what I've seen with Desmond so far, I would say that cats are able to be taught more than I might have thought in the past; that sometimes, you just have to be firm (not mean!) with them, and that giving in to them creates a "monster", just as giving in to a child all the time results in a spoiled brat. I decided w/ Desmond that I would teach him the best "manners" I could - such as not to walk on someone while they're eating!

He also wakes me up early in the morning to feed him; generally, if it's after 3 a.m., I'll get up and feed him but if it's before 3, I tell him to go back to sleep and usually, he does. I think if I let him, he would have me up every two hours, but I just had to be tough and ignore some of his early morning carrying on. If it's after 3 a.m., though, and I don't get up to feed him, he will start poking me in the head with one claw! So it's easier just to feed him, then we can both go back to sleep. The other thing he does is, if I'm on the phone too long in the evening, he will start acting up to get my attention. He will do whatever it takes, from running around and jumping on the furniture, to poking me in the legs w/ his claws, to get me off the phone.

Annie
atm53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thing is, people who had inflexibly firm parents like I did, tend to want to raise spoiled brats. It's my reward when I see these forgotten, lonely, long-suffering, adult strays without any hope or anything to live for, become princes and princesses who feel they deserve nothing but the very best and to be catered to every wish and whim. I have 3 spoiled brats at home and another bunch downstairs in the public garden by the building. And that's what gives meaning to my life. Then on days like today, I'm GRRRRRRR because I created such demanding "monsters".
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Bee gives me the guilt eyes when im cuddling her sister Boo, I always feel so bad even though she probably gets ten times more cuddles than Boo!

Boo doesnt really do the guilt thing, we took her in as a stray and shes just so darn happy to be indoors on a warm bed with good food that she just purrs when she wants attention instead. LOL
britishvixen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Khaleesi IS such a cutie and so spoiled. Thanks for the compliment on her name, me and my boyfriend are obsessed with GoT! However I think the fact that her name means queen in Dothraki has gone to her head!

Khaleesi loves her dang toy, she also does the oddest and cutest thing, she drags it into the tub along with all her other toys! I have to clean it of cat toys before I can take a shower or else clog the drain! The cutest noise is the sound of the bell and the dragging as she pulls it into the tub with her!

I AM pretty good at not letting her do one thing, which is she used to start going nuts as soon as I fell asleep, running around trilling and knocking stuff over in order to wake me up. I ignored her, not even getting up to reprimand her or check what she destroyed since in her mind even negative attention is attention. Now she doesn't do it as much, and if she does she stops after a few minutes. Such a brat!

Jezahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezahb View Post
Thanks for the compliment on her name, me and my boyfriend are obsessed with GoT! However I think the fact that her name means queen in Dothraki has gone to her head!

I AM pretty good at not letting her do one thing, which is she used to start going nuts as soon as I fell asleep, running around trilling and knocking stuff over in order to wake me up. I ignored her, not even getting up to reprimand her or check what she destroyed since in her mind even negative attention is attention. Now she doesn't do it as much, and if she does she stops after a few minutes. Such a brat!
You're welcome! I am so excited for the new season, but I need to finish the book!

Moosey is pretty good about letting me go to sleep, but once she thinks it is time to wake up and be fed, she is all over me, in my face, purring and trilling. I love the girl to death, but sometimes she drives me nuts. I try not to give in, but sometimes I do it just so I can go back to sleep.

I have been trying to tire them out and feed them a little before bed. It seems to work.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

What toy do you use to tire them out? My 1.5 year old Cuddles doesn't play with toys
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement