My cat peed on my bed.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default My cat peed on my bed....

The title says it all. I got out of the shower, this morning, and smelled cat urine very strongly in my bedroom. I started investigating and saw that a huge urine puddle was on my bed. It soaked through my comforter, bed sheets and mattress cover. I am trying to clean my mattress now to get the smell out. I am so upset over this. I have never had this happen before.

I believe it was our new cat, Shadow, that is almost a year old. She was the one sitting outside my bathroom door waiting for me to get out and give her food. I don't think that she has a UTI since she is not straining to use the litter box and there is no other urine spots anywhere in my house.

Do you think that she peed on my bed because she was mad at me for not feeding her before I took my shower?

This is my first female cat and my male has never done this before.

Thanks.
soccergrl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

There's a lot of reasons a cat will do this. Maybe the food thing if you usually feed her before you shower or maybe she's upset or jealous of someone/thing new. Or maybe she's getting sick and it's in the early stages.

Has anything changed?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

well it really could be anything, from early symptoms of UTI, to behavioral issues, or hopefully just one time thing?

I would watch her closely now.
also did she have litter box available or was it in the closed bathroom you were in? maybe she really needed to go to potty but she was locked out of litterbox?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

She is the new pet in the house. We have only had her for a month. This is the only time that she has done this so far. Her litterbox is in the basement and she has access to it at all times. I never feed the animals before I take a shower but I did take my shower later today because the kids didn't have school. But it was only an hour past their normal time.

I saw her use the litterbox, this morning, to poop but she hasn't peed in it yet.

I can't get the cat pee out of my mattress and I have to take my bedspread to the laundrymat to wash it because my my machine is too small for it.

I cannot go through this again with a cat peeing in my house. We spent alot of money to replace carpet etc.
soccergrl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cats do not have the ability to reason that they can "pay you back" for not feeding them by peeing on your bed. Vengeance is a human thing, not a cat thing.

The most common reason for peeing outside the box is UTI, after that it's things like the box is not clean, access has been blocked (physically by a door or by another cat guarding it), other illness besides UTI, don't like the litter etc.

The fact that she's new is a good indicator that this could be a stress related UTI. So the first thing that needs to happen is a vet visit. Straining in the box is an indicator or UTI/crystals, but the absence of straining doesn't necessarily mean and issue is not present. If she's cleared medically, you can then focus on the other types of issues.

I've been in the urine on the mattress situation. You need to pour (not spray) Nature's Miracle or some other enzymatic cleaner on the area and let it dry. You have to pour enough for it to soak down as far as the urine did. I never really did get the smell out until I went on vacation and the morning I left I poured a half gallon on the mattress and left it to dry for over a week.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yeah, I definitely would not rule out a UTI simply because she doesn't have all the symptoms. Maisie only had one symptom from the list when he had one. I second-guessed myself a bit because he didn't fit all the diagnostic criteria, but I'm really glad I followed my instinct and took him to the vet anyway.

It could be behavioural, but I wouldn't rule out a medical cause without a vet check.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have had this happen, and it turned out to be crystals. There were no other symptoms at the time other than the bed peeing.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

A sudden need to mark territory because of some insecurity is a possibility as well a UTI - and some cats can be very picky about any dirt in litter trays. Any mess left and two of mine will wee by the doors!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Could be crystals, bladder infection, UTI.... Growing up, has two cats in my parents house who one had crystals 24/7 and peed basically everywhere...and the other developed a bladder infection multiple times and would pee all over the stairs! Put him in antibiotics and he is doing much better. However, they have been on supermarket dry food their whole life, this is why I'm now a big advocate for wet food, or at least a 50/50 wet and dry!

RNcatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

She was at the vet on Monday & she had her last booster shot. She also got lysine for a cold & some eye drops.

I called the vet & they said that she was probably mad at me because I didn't feed her at her normal time. They told me to just watch her for a week & see what she does.

I am at the laundromat now & hopefully she doesn't pee anywhere else. I shut all of the bedroom doors before I left.

Advertisement