What about a ride in a stroller? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Lightbulb What about a ride in a stroller?

I would love to take a kitty for a walk outside in a stroller, not to actually walk or touch the ground. Too many germs, or whatever. But I saw these cool pet carrier/stroller/car seat that looks great! They come apart.

I have to buy a pet carrier now (didn't find a kitty yet) so I was thinking about one of these. They are made of soft material, like canvas or something, not hard w/the steel door in front. They snap into the stroller frame and u take them for a walk. Would a cat like that?
What do you think? Are the soft material good for cats?
kittyglitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I looked at these as well. I know MowMow would LOVE going with me when I go for walks this spring. I shied away when the guys at work told me that registered a 10 on the crazy cat lady scale.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

...LOL let's take that 10...........I haven't been called a 10 in a long time!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I think Zephyr would enjoy a stroller; I'm less sure about Maisie. Maisie is afraid of the outdoors because he was a stray, and I'm not sure whether being safely enclosed would help.

I haven't tried a stroller for a couple of reasons:

I wasn't able to find one that could accommodate two cats safely, and my cats prefer not to be separated if possible.

I'm also not sure I want to encourage them to be interested in the outdoors. Currently they have zero interest. Since I plan to continue to keep them as entirely indoor cats, I feel like in some ways it might be better to just leave things as they are, since at the moment the cats are content. Teaching them to want to go outside could just lead to a frustration for them that they don't presently seem to feel.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen

Last edited by Blakeney Green; 02-18-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing about an inside cat wanting to go out every time the door opens. But this is what I was thinking....
I have an enclosed back porch and would keep the stroller in there. I will always faithfully go out the back door w/him. I'm thinking he will only associate the back door with going out and the front door he wouldn't be interested in....... does that sound like a good idea or does it only sound good in my head?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

The president of our shelter has a cat who loves stroller time. Not just for walks but to be outside with her while she works in the garden or hangs out on the deck.

However (and maybe this is just me) for a pet carrier, I really prefer the hardsided ones to the soft ones. They are just more pragmatic for my purposes.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyglitter View Post
Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing about an inside cat wanting to go out every time the door opens. But this is what I was thinking....
I have an enclosed back porch and would keep the stroller in there. I will always faithfully go out the back door w/him. I'm thinking he will only associate the back door with going out and the front door he wouldn't be interested in....... does that sound like a good idea or does it only sound good in my head?
I really think it depends on the cat.

I'm fairly sure mine would be able to figure out that there are interesting outdoor smells through the front door as well as the back, and they don't always respect my rules enough to leave it alone.

On the other hand, my parents' last cat never seemed able to figure out, even in their fairly open-plan house, that he could go out of a room by a different door than he entered by. He was a very sweet pet, but intelligence was... um... not his main virtue.

So yeah, it would be a bit hard to predict how a specific cat would react. That said, I would love to have a screened porch to let my cats out on. I think they'd really get a kick out of that. They're good about screens, so I think they'd treat that like a more interesting version of a window rather than an enticement to go outside.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Both my cats love their "walkies" in the pet stroller. Mine is the "Ultra-Light Pet Stroller - Ice Blue". When the cats were smaller both could fit in, but they've grown since I first got the stroller (Alkee is 11 lbs. Zuba 12 lbs.) and now it's too snug for Alkee's liking. So I taken them separately. I really should get a double one...and they are available as side-by-side, or stacked one on top of the other. Do get a stroller with bigger wheels. Mine are only 5 in. in diameter and they do not go well over rougher ground like in a park. Larger wheels will make it a lot easier. Both my cats love it and will often sleep in it or sit in it as a hint they want to go out in it. Cats like a routine so I often go the same route....that's what they mostly do if they were outdoor cats anyway, is patrol "their territory". For a change I will take them somewhere different. I only take them out when the weather's warm. It's a great way to give them fresh air and keep them safe from dogs, etc. and give yourself some exercise too.

Pet stroller : travel : Target

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

That is GREAT! The one I was thinking of was the 3-1 red stroller. If you click on your link and scholl down you will see it. Does that one look ok? I wanted to one cause I don't have a pet carrier and that doubles as one. Isn't that a great idea? I am so excited.....meanwhile I didn't find a cat yet
Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I'm sure it depends on a cat. Some like being enclosed and some absolutely don't.

I have a soft sided Delta Airlines cat carrier and I also have a couple hard sided ones. I prefer using the Delta carrier with my cat because it carries like a duffle bag. It has a fuzzy soft floor in it. My cat seems to like it and will even nap in it. Regardless of the type, consider getting one with a top and side entry.