Can you pick up your cat? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Can you pick up your cat?

Yuki doesn't mind being picked up but I think she has to be in the mood for it. Sometimes I can pick her up easily, sometimes she bolts as if she's scared. That used to hurt my feelings a little as I've never hurt her but now Ive come to accept that it's just her mood. She'll let me carry her like a baby too and blow raspberries on her tummy She'll come over and sit/lay on my lap or stretched out legs when she feels like it. She kneads me every day and that's our special affection time Basically I've just learned to let her call the shots lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Kitten

I think that's very normal, although my kitten likes to be held and pet like in the video below.
Kido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Cat

After two trips to the emergency room from bites over the last three years, Midnight, the wild cat, now trusts me enough to let me pick him up and move him around the garage. Of course the movement is always associated with food or a soft rug on the recycle bin. I don't hold it against him because I don't know what abuse he suffered at the hands of some mutant human when he was young. He trusts me now, and I trust him.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cat

Guinny hates to be picked up. Sometimes she will stay with me for a minute or two, but still clearly not liking it. She never has, not for the 6 months I've had her. She is not a lap cat either, but LOVES belly rubs and lying BESIDE me.
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cat

Ruby doesn't enjoy being held either. When we adopted her, the girl from the shelter told us that she doesn't like being picked up, so we knew this from the start. I got her used to it though and tried to pick her up at least once a day. She still doesn't like it, but she tolerates it and I'm able to hold her for a lot longer now before she starts complaining.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Mine don't prefer being held but they all crowd onto my lap for loves and snuggles when I sit down. They're all used to being handled tho.

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Kitten

We were a little disappointed with our 2 cats when we discovered that neither one like to be picked up. Our previous cat was extremely affectionate and would put his little paws right around our neck, he even did it with strangers who came into our house. So needless to say we got spoiled with all this kitty attention. Gypsy will now tolerate being held for about 30 seconds or so, but Lucy flat out hates it.
kitten pause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cat likes to be held when she wants to be. If she doesn't, she gets mad and meows like a crazy cat. I can usually pick her up all the time but sometimes she tries to run from me. Of course, a treat is an instant mind changer.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I can pick up two of the three. The ragdoll loves it... I could hold her all day and she would lay there purring. Anna loves it too unless she's in a playful mood then she just wants to run. Sophie I can only hold if she is in a cuddly mood and if she seeks me out, I can tell she wants to me picked up when she chirps, purrs, arches her back and rubs against my legs. If I pick her up when she's not like this she squirms until I let her down or she squirms free.

3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #30 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Shortly after we got them, Shiva got really sick and during that time he and I kind of bonded to the point whereby I think he trusts people that I trust. Sounds weird, but prior to that, he hated to be held and didn't want to be touched. Now his brother is like that -- it's been about two months and it's still taking some time for him to warm up but he's slowly getting around to it.

But we basically can pick them up but neither of them will stay for long.