One a Bully, one Timid??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default One a Bully, one Timid???

It's been some time since I have had kittens (about 15-16 years) I never recalled the three we had back then not getting along or not wanting to do certain things.

I currently have 2 Abys from different litters they are about 4 weeks apart in age, currently 6mos & 5mos. I don't know if what they are doing is totally normal or what so I'd thought I'd see what others have to say:

Tynk (the older ) is of course everywhere jumps up on everything she can, makes total Evel Kenievel jumps... however, Belle (the younger) does not, she will climb as oppose to jump, even into my chair its a lazy-boy, she climbs where she could easily jump into it. Normal??
Also, for the most part they play ok together, Tynk tends to be pretty rough and Belle has gotten to where if she comes near her she starts hissing & growling. Yet then you see them laying together at a later time.
Tynk will tend to "ambush" Belle when she is sleeping so I get her wanting her to stay away. Wanted thoughts on the not jumping, only climbing and the hissing growling. I'm assuming Tynk's behavior is completely normal for an aby, Belle is just Timid? is there anyway to help her out of this? I feed them up on a table and Belle used to be the first one up there (climbed of course) but now she hardly does that.

Thoughts, comments...

R I P:
Miss Emily 1997-1/15/11, Precious 2/21/04-9/12/11 & Angel Kitty 1997-11/6/11
NiecieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It sounds pretty normal to me. As you know Abys are one of the most active breeds, and I think what you're seeing is the difference in age of one month between them. The 6 mo. is really just in the middle of the "crazy teens" and prefers more rambunctious play and athletic play. It could also be a difference in personality. Tynk is more dominant and you can hardly blame Belle for being defensive by hissing when Tynk gets near her after she's been ambushed while sleeping. I wouldn't be particularly concerned at this point that Belle is only climbing and not jumping. Was she jumping before? Sometime cats will pull a tendon or slightly injure themselves jumping, and this can be sore for some time, maybe even a couple of weeks or more. You could re-direct Tynk's attention from Belle if she looks like she's going to ambush her while sleeping (throw a toy or play with her with a fishing pole type toy like "Da Bird") . When Belle grows up more she may defend herself better than she is now. As far as feeding them both on the table you could try feeding them in separate corners of a room or different rooms. Try to build up Belle's self esteem, by petting and praising her, but out of sight and earshot of Tynk, so there isn't a jealous reaction on her part.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author

Last edited by catloverami; 02-20-2013 at 01:36 PM.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I have this exact problem with our two. Moosey is about a year and a half and Ziggy is about 7 months old. Moosey is a big bully, but I think it may just be that Ziggy is a little more timid and a lot smaller than my big moose.

Diverting the attention works very well. When Moosey starts to bully her, I will clap my hands or make a noise that distracts Moosey enough for Ziggy to get away.

Now, depending on where she is in the house, if Moosey walks up to Ziggy she will hiss and growl.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

thanks for the input. Its good to know! Yes we already try to catch Tynk before she does anything, she is so ornery! this morning just walking thru the kitchen Tynk was biting at Belle's butt...I totally dont blame Belle for being defensive! I already feed them on two separate tables, Tynk usually wont eat till after Belle is done anyway, then she goes in for clean up LOL But moving to across the room is a great idea that way they are nowhere near each other.

R I P:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Are they both fixed? If not, it could be hormones making them a little crazy.

I find Moosey likes to bite Ziggy's neck, but has also bitten her bum as well. Sometimes Moosey will groom Ziggy, and Ziggy will purr and purr and then Moosey will start to bite her hard enough to make her whimper. This is usually in the middle of the night, on my bed, when I am asleep so I wake up to a cat screaming. This happens at least once a night, usually twice.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

good point! No they are not fixed yet. Was waiting to allow them to get a bigger.

R I P:
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

They are both at a good age to get them fixed. I would do it ASAP as two cats in heat will drive you nuts.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

are yours fixed??

and although I cannot ever remembering having a cat in heat so I do not even know what they will do, I just didn't want to get them fixed when they were teeny, I didn't like doing it 15 years ago with our other kitties I thought they were too young. I Have a couple of friends who are TCVM vets and they said to try to wait till 8-12mos. Plus with them being the "skinny cats" weight was important. I think Tynk is just barely 6 pounds now...and Belle hasn't breached 5 pounds yet.

R I P:
Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Not fixed? Oh no, I just assumed they were. Well, that's most of the problem, right there! Hormones are raging. Some females have quiet heats and don't call. Most humane societies spay/neuter at 2 months old or 2 lbs. in weight. So your guys are waaay overdue. At 6 mos. Tynk is capable of fathering....and Belle at 5 mos. is old enough to have kittens. If you're not supervising 100%, then they should be separated. Belle's teats aren't pink are they? That's a sign that she could be pregnant already!

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement