Shower curtain/liner... UGH!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Cool Shower curtain/liner... UGH!!!!

Anyone have issues with their cats and shower curtains and shower liners?? Apollo shreds every shower liner I buy, from thin ones to thick, heavy duty ones. He even chews on the edges when he feels like it. It's pretty counter-productive, having a shredded shower liner with big, gaping holes in it.

I just bought a new, beautiful shower curtain. It's white with a biiiiiiiiig silhouette of a branchy tree. Within minutes of putting it up, Apollo and all 10lbs of himself climbed right up the curtain and tore some of the thread. Butt head!!!!!

He hangs out in the tub a lot, mostly after I just step out of the shower. He drinks from the leaky faucet and rolls around on the wet tub-pad. His favorite thing to do is hide behind the curtain when I'm doing my business and swat at me when he can reach, lol.

I usually try to pull both the liner and curtain up over the shower bar so it's off the floor where he cant reach, but it will get mildewy and I can't stand that.

I've been trying to figure out what to do! Does anyone have any suggestions? Closing the bathroom door off is not an option; it does not latch unless I stuff a towel at the top corner and then I have to fight to get it open. PLUS, there is no air circulation in there at all and will get humid and yucky in there if its not aired out daily.

I try to let go of the fact that I want to have nice things, because I know I live with 2 cats. I'm mostly worried one of them will get tangled in the shredded curtain liner or maybe swallow bits of plastic.

Any suggestions??????
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Could you install shower doors instead? It might cost a bit, but certainly replacing shower curtains every day will get expensive, even if you get them at the dollar store.

I have one who plays the Shower Curtain Game when I am in the bathroom too. She does like to make holes in the curtains, but she is a lightweight compared to what you describe.

If you are handy you might be able to install the doors yourself.

I searched "bathtub shower doors" and you could get something for pretty reasonable, especially if you can install it yourself.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Ragnar my cat does the same exact thing either hides between the two shower curtains climbs them or hides when I'm showering to play peekaboo with me but he's been destroying them and also the toilet paper . I kind of gave up and leave the door closed . After couple of weeks he got the point and when I'm in the bathroom he lays down by the door and won't fully come in . Good luck

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Marlindh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Ours only does that in the middle of the night, when she wants attention (and in her case, she'll sit on the lip of the tub and "dig" softly at it for hours, SKUFF SKUFF SKUFF SKUFF forever).

We just started locking the door up overnight. During the day she pretty much leaves it alone.

Wish I had better advice. With Io the first question we always need to ask ourselves is "Is she doing this because she thinks it's fun, or is she doing it because she wants our attention?" If it's the latter, distraction and misdirection are the approach. If it's the former, well... Our toilet paper's up out of cat-reach.
Jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

How about fabric shower curtains? I have an inner fabric liner and and outer 'fancy' curtain (that hangs outside the tub). Mine has embroidery like stitching that got 'pulled' from Book playing with it, but he can't SHRED it.

I couldn't hope to keep Book out of the tub, he LOVES to carry his toys in there and throw them around. A ping pong ball thrown into the bathtub will keep him occupies for an entire day. Every morning I have ot empty all the toys out of the bottom of the tub and toss them all back into their basket.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Yes, my kitties love the shower curtains. Katerina frequently tries to eat the plastic shower curtain. I guess there's just something about movable free hanging things that make them desirable toys. So far, she hasn't actually damaged them. Luckily, we don't use those bathrooms for bathing/showering. The curtains are just for looks. Bathtubs are a delight for our kitties, toys end up in them and they chase each other inside the tub. Sounds like a roller derby when they play there.

Mylita
Mylita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah tough one to solve. An alternative to installing doors might be installing a vent fan, so that you could keep the door closed. Not sure which would be cheaper.
svenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I use to have this problem with my oldest cat. When we first moved here a year ago she totally chewed up the brand new liner in 2 days. She then chewed the curtain itself. We replaced the liner and I kept catching her do it. Now we keep the bathroom door at all times except when we are in it, she use to do it while we were in it but I would snap my fingers say no! Loud and she would runaway. She hasn't done it since.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
How about fabric shower curtains? I have an inner fabric liner and and outer 'fancy' curtain (that hangs outside the tub). Mine has embroidery like stitching that got 'pulled' from Book playing with it, but he can't SHRED it.

I couldn't hope to keep Book out of the tub, he LOVES to carry his toys in there and throw them around. A ping pong ball thrown into the bathtub will keep him occupies for an entire day. Every morning I have ot empty all the toys out of the bottom of the tub and toss them all back into their basket.
I have fabric curtains too! And they have poked holes but not shredded them. They LOVE playing in the tub, dry or wet. Silly kittens!
JungliBillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I just found out that my shower curtain liner has a little hole in it as well. It's 3 years old though, so I probably need to replace it anyway, LOL!
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement