Trying to make a better litter area to reduce litter tracking - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmothecat View Post
I have this cabinet (looks like regular furniture) this doesn't capture a lot of litter...it basically just fits a litterbox..no room from box to opening...they usually just jump out of it hence litter on the floor and mine too have longer hair and hugh tufts on the bottom of their feets
:O! Mine as two sides, one where the litter (storing plastic box) is and the other is a shelve where I have a mat/rug thing installed to try and keep most litter in the cabinet
I can store the litter bags under the shelve and other things too. It's really spacious for the cats. I cannot wait to be done with it XP

It is a very big cabinet (I have no idea what it is really called)
Hinterlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat face View Post
The only thing I've found that works (for my clan) is two litter mats and arranging the litter box (closed litter box) where the entrance opening is about 6 inches away from the wall.
The wall keeps them from jumping or running out of the box.They come out and have to turn right away. Then they are one the first litter mat. The second litter mat is immediately after. (think "L" shape)
The first litter mat is soft rubber and has ridges in it. The second mat is just a regular door mat, some polyester rug type of material, I think.

This seems to do it for me and I have tile floors where the litter box is.
But my cats don't have things like loads of toe fluff or long hair bloomers

either, so I'm not guaranteeing it for all cats. lol
AH-HAAAAAS!!!! This makes sense...now why didn't I think of this!?! BTW...I love your icon!!!! Sooooo cute!!!

(Gizmo) (LOVES) (Marshall)
gizmothecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinterlander View Post
:O! Mine as two sides, one where the litter (storing plastic box) is and the other is a shelve where I have a mat/rug thing installed to try and keep most litter in the cabinet
I can store the litter bags under the shelve and other things too. It's really spacious for the cats. I cannot wait to be done with it XP

It is a very big cabinet (I have no idea what it is really called)
I forget what mine is called too..but its made for cat litter trays....I should just be happy they both actually use it!! I got it for Mr. Marshall as he does not cover his poops or pees but he is only using litter now and not paper (he was trained on paper trough his foster ). He won't cover GRRRRRs

Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Oh god, one of my cats also does not cover! And he as a lot of trouble keeping himself in the litter box so I change to a storage box.

Here! I found what inspired me for the litter box hider. It's not exactly the same, but that is what I am doing for them ^^

Sari?s DIY Litter Box Hider ? hauspanther
Hinterlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That is GENIUS!!! Love it I would like that in my apt

Last edited by marie73; 07-20-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Kitten

Here is a little of my setup and just yesterday I added a single grate as a test. I was thinking of having 2 levels, sorta like that link to Sari's DIY one, however they would enter on the floor level then jump up the to the higher level and have to walk a bit to the box. This would get 2 full lengths of grates for them to walk over. Perhaps overkill though.

Going to test this set up oiut for a week or two and see if any improvements then make it look nicer
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to make a better litter area to reduce litter tracking-img_20130720_144749-1024x768-.jpg   Trying to make a better litter area to reduce litter tracking-img_20130720_144801-1024x768-.jpg   Trying to make a better litter area to reduce litter tracking-img_20130720_144807-1024x768-.jpg   Trying to make a better litter area to reduce litter tracking-img_20130722_111107-1024x768-.jpg   Trying to make a better litter area to reduce litter tracking-img_20130722_111118-1024x768-.jpg  

Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinterlander View Post
Oh god, one of my cats also does not cover! And he as a lot of trouble keeping himself in the litter box so I change to a storage box.

Here! I found what inspired me for the litter box hider. It's not exactly the same, but that is what I am doing for them ^^

Sari?s DIY Litter Box Hider ? hauspanther
That is awesome!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cat Addict

you bought the carpet version of the purr-fect pet litter mat and I got the rubber one (full of little indentations, works beautifully).

there are tricks to the pellet litter to keep it from tracking sawdust. I've used it for a year and it never tracks, I just throw the stray pellet back in the box occasionally.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cat

Many good ideas here. I have done the double box thing, wherein you have a coverd litter box and I put a large cut down tray like box in front of their door. They essentialy jump out of their litter box into a second box then out on their merry way. It was not perfect but helped a lot. And the second box was easy to clean, just dump.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cat

Yeah i'm trying to figure out a solution too. I made one of those huge custom litter boxes and they love it but tracking is still an issue. I have a 2 ft x 3 ft sisal mat in fromt of the box. Need to figure out a way to help with the tracking.