Inappropriate Pooping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Inappropriate Pooping

I have a 6 year old, fat, spade female rescue - from a local shelter about 2 months ago - who occasionally poops in inappropriate places. Meaning anywhere other than her box. She does use the box, just not always. She has one of those auto-cleaning boxes so it isn't dirty, she's not afraid of it - I don't know that she's ever even seen it in action, plenty of litter, free access. And, like I said, she DOES use it. Always for pee, and just sometimes for poop. The box is in a low traffic area of the house and not covered.
Any suggestions? Or training advise? I've never had to train a cat before - just shown them the box and the rest was history.
Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

You should try to figure out the reason she is not always using it. Try adding another box with different configuration and litter and put it in a different location, possibly where she repeatedly poops. She's trying to tell you something is not right "for her". You mentioned that she was "fat". Fat cats sometimes don't like climbing into boxes with high walls. Try a box with lower entrance. Also make sure it's not a medical reason like constipation that is making her associate box + poo = pain.
JungliBillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

sometimes they don't even have to be so constipated that it hurts, they just get constipated and when they finally are able to go, they just go where they are.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

If this is the case (and I think it may, at least partially be so), how do you fix a constipated cat?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

What is her diet? Is she on dry or wet food?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Dry: Wellness CORE Grain Free Turkey Meal and Duck Formula. I keep her to about 3/4 cup a day. She seems to drink plenty of water - she loves playing in the sink.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

You should switch to canned food and give her some additional fiber. Canned pumpkin (1 teaspoon x twice a day) or Metamucil (1 teaspoon per day) could work.

There are experts here on cat constipation (hahaha). Hopefully they will have good suggestions as well
Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I would put a second box (just a simple kitty litter box, uncovered) in an opposite end of the house and see if that doesn't help. I had a similar problem with my Zipper. She would poop in the living room. I put an extra box between the other two locations (I had 4 boxes for 5 cats; 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs) and it did the trick. No more issues.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Her 'favorite' place is in the hallway just outside the bathroom where the box it - literally steps away.
I will try additional fiber, though. My cat may actually eat pumpkin - she eats everything else.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'm having this same problem. I think they don't like the litter. I'm going to try a different litter in one of the boxes before it becomes inappropriate urinating, which I absolutely can't have!
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement