How do you clip a cats nails who won't let you? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Question How do you clip a cats nails who won't let you?

I've had Luna for about 2 months, she's 7 months.

She has super long nails and she won't let me clip them. No amount of treats, scruffing, wrapping her in a blanket, or anything works. She squirms away. She is really skittish and doesn't like being picked up and won't go on your lap or anything.

I'm not used to this since my other cat Phoenix has always let me clip his with little fuss.

How do I go about this? I spend a lot of time playing with her all day but she just isn't comfortable and she's always moving around and squirming everywhere.
Auroraei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

If all else fails you might try taking her to the vet. I had a friend that would have her cats nails clipped as part of their regular vet visit. Good Luck
Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylM View Post
If all else fails you might try taking her to the vet. I had a friend that would have her cats nails clipped as part of their regular vet visit. Good Luck
Regular vet visit? I'd have to go every 1-2 weeks. I can't do that :\
Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Not to mention I'm not even sure how a vet would do it, LOL. I'm trying with 2 people here!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Have you tried that method on youtube video? Rolling the cat in the blanket and cover the face?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My cats will sit there and let my vet or groomer do it without a fuss. They seem to know they can't get away with stuff with strangers, especially in a strange place. With me, they turn into tiny MMA fighters. I actually can clip their nails now, but Charlee will always be a battle.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
My cats will sit there and let my vet or groomer do it without a fuss. They seem to know they can't get away with stuff with strangers, especially in a strange place. With me, they turn into tiny MMA fighters. I actually can clip their nails now, but Charlee will always be a battle.
She's been to the vet before, 2 vets had to restrain her with a blanket to clean her ears. I think she is traumatized. After that they tried to give her oral meds while she was on my lap and she scratched my arm and now I have a scar lol.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I would swaddle her in a blanket with one paw out at a time to clip.

Does she let you handle her paws easily when you aren't clipping them? I found after handling my cat's paws on a frequent basis they have become more at ease with clipping. My boy has never been too awful with it but my sweet little girl used to hiss every time we would do it! Now we make sure to massage her paws when it is cuddle time. She still doesn't love it but she is much better. Mind you, this is scientific and it took a few years, she could just be used to it by now and all of my paw massaging was for nothing.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra-Butters View Post
I would swaddle her in a blanket with one paw out at a time to clip.

Does she let you handle her paws easily when you aren't clipping them? I found after handling my cat's paws on a frequent basis they have become more at ease with clipping. My boy has never been too awful with it but my sweet little girl used to hiss every time we would do it! Now we make sure to massage her paws when it is cuddle time. She still doesn't love it but she is much better. Mind you, this is scientific and it took a few years, she could just be used to it by now and all of my paw massaging was for nothing.
She lets me put my finger on her paws but if I go and hold them, she will pull back. She never hisses at me or acts aggressive, she just tries (and succeeds) to flee.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Maybe try holding them more often when you cuddle. We would start with just touching the paws and then moved to holding them and now she lets us even un sheath her claws while we massage her paws.
Advertisement