How do you clip a cats nails who won't let you? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 664
Question How do you clip a cats nails who won't let you?

I've had Luna for about 2 months, she's 7 months.

She has super long nails and she won't let me clip them. No amount of treats, scruffing, wrapping her in a blanket, or anything works. She squirms away. She is really skittish and doesn't like being picked up and won't go on your lap or anything.

I'm not used to this since my other cat Phoenix has always let me clip his with little fuss.

How do I go about this? I spend a lot of time playing with her all day but she just isn't comfortable and she's always moving around and squirming everywhere.
Auroraei is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Jr. Cat
 
CherylM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Rock
Posts: 80
If all else fails you might try taking her to the vet. I had a friend that would have her cats nails clipped as part of their regular vet visit. Good Luck

Dogs Have Owners...Cats Have Staff
CherylM is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylM View Post
If all else fails you might try taking her to the vet. I had a friend that would have her cats nails clipped as part of their regular vet visit. Good Luck
Regular vet visit? I'd have to go every 1-2 weeks. I can't do that :\
Auroraei is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 664
Not to mention I'm not even sure how a vet would do it, LOL. I'm trying with 2 people here!
Auroraei is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Senior Cat
 
NOLAKitties's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 727
Have you tried that method on youtube video? Rolling the cat in the blanket and cover the face?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kitties!
NOLAKitties is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator
 
marie73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 30,802
My cats will sit there and let my vet or groomer do it without a fuss. They seem to know they can't get away with stuff with strangers, especially in a strange place. With me, they turn into tiny MMA fighters. I actually can clip their nails now, but Charlee will always be a battle.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
http://www.catforum.com/forum/50-ove...inderella.html
marie73 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
My cats will sit there and let my vet or groomer do it without a fuss. They seem to know they can't get away with stuff with strangers, especially in a strange place. With me, they turn into tiny MMA fighters. I actually can clip their nails now, but Charlee will always be a battle.
She's been to the vet before, 2 vets had to restrain her with a blanket to clean her ears. I think she is traumatized. After that they tried to give her oral meds while she was on my lap and she scratched my arm and now I have a scar lol.
Auroraei is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Cat Addict
 
Sinatra-Butters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 2,681
I would swaddle her in a blanket with one paw out at a time to clip.

Does she let you handle her paws easily when you aren't clipping them? I found after handling my cat's paws on a frequent basis they have become more at ease with clipping. My boy has never been too awful with it but my sweet little girl used to hiss every time we would do it! Now we make sure to massage her paws when it is cuddle time. She still doesn't love it but she is much better. Mind you, this is scientific and it took a few years, she could just be used to it by now and all of my paw massaging was for nothing.

Becky, the proud momma of:
Sinatra-Butters is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra-Butters View Post
I would swaddle her in a blanket with one paw out at a time to clip.

Does she let you handle her paws easily when you aren't clipping them? I found after handling my cat's paws on a frequent basis they have become more at ease with clipping. My boy has never been too awful with it but my sweet little girl used to hiss every time we would do it! Now we make sure to massage her paws when it is cuddle time. She still doesn't love it but she is much better. Mind you, this is scientific and it took a few years, she could just be used to it by now and all of my paw massaging was for nothing.
She lets me put my finger on her paws but if I go and hold them, she will pull back. She never hisses at me or acts aggressive, she just tries (and succeeds) to flee.
Auroraei is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Cat Addict
 
Sinatra-Butters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 2,681
Maybe try holding them more often when you cuddle. We would start with just touching the paws and then moved to holding them and now she lets us even un sheath her claws while we massage her paws.

Becky, the proud momma of:
Sinatra-Butters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome