Static Electricity may be my petting problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat
 
builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 654
Lightbulb Static Electricity may be my petting problem

Iíve been trying to pet my Feral Cat Sebastian for years without success. Every once in a while I catch him at just the right moment when he lets me pet him. Tonight was one of those moments but was very short loved and it dawned on me that it might have something to do with static electricity.
As I was petting him I could feel the Electricity off of his hair and it was a little uncomfortable even for me so I wonder what he feels. The other cats have soft fluffy fur and his is short and stiff.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
catloverami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,856
Default

Most likely, as those little sparks do zing a bit. You could moisten your hand slightly before you pet him. Hand lotion on your hand might take away the static but will make his coat greasy and likely won't be good for him to lick it off; don't use dryer sheets either for the same reason.
__________________
"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15)
(white Devon Rex in avatar) "Always in my heart."
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
10cats2dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 15,706
Default

It is the static electricity! And you can just moisten your hand with water! I have 5 long hair kitties out of the 7, so I've had lots of practice! This also works well for brushing.
__________________
"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot
10cats2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat
 
builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 654
Default

I donít know why I never realized this before because I live in a dry desert climate and static electricity has always been a huge problem.
I know clothes and shoes also make a difference, because my nylon jacket really charges up and Iíve actually seen large blue fire balls coming off my fingers when grabbing a door knob in the dark.
I do use a lot of hand lotions because my hands really get dry, but I avoid petting after using it because I donít want the cats licking it.
Now that Iím aware of it Iíll have to find a way of discharging myself before trying to pet them.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat
 
dt8thd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,054
Default

I have this problem when petting Gilbert & Sullivan (orange tabby fosters) sometimes. It was pretty irritating when I first got the boys. Sully, the shyer of the twins, would get a little bit of a shock when he came over to sniff me or rub up against my leg, and then I'd have a really tough time getting him back into his crate when it was time because he'd run from me in anticipation of another zap.

My Cosette actually likes little static electric shocks--or "sparkles" as we call them where she's concerned. Cosy loves to chase sparkles on the TV screen right after it's been turned on or off; she tries to bite them. Lol, she often asks for the TV to be turned on, so she can hunt sparkles.
__________________
Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).


dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat
 
builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
Cosy loves to chase sparkles on the TV screen right after it's been turned on or off; she tries to bite them. Lol, she often asks for the TV to be turned on, so she can hunt sparkles.
That's just too funny LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-The-Cat View Post
Sometimes when I pet my cat I tell her she creates enough electricity to light a city! Why do they bother with power plants when there are plenty of cats around to pet?
I have to say that I once thought I was seeing spirits or orbs in the middle of the night when I saw flashing lights run across my bed. Then I was a bit disappointed when I turned on the light to see my long haired Squirts standing on the corner.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
10cats2dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 15,706
Default

HaHa! The other thing that lights up is the remote control for the TV any time one of my cats pass by it!! :p
__________________
"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot
10cats2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat
 
builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 654
Default

OMG! Staticy Cat vs. Balloon was so funny. I'm going to try that if they don't pop the balloon first
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
Marcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 9,121
Default

Put a kettle on! Really, fill a kettle with water and put it on low boil to add humidity to the air. That will help keep the static down.
__________________
Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat
 
builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 654
Default

Thanks Marcia that jogs my memory of a story I heard about hospitals using humidifiers to cut down the possibilities of oxygen exploding from static. Iím not sure if I have the facts correct, but I think it was oxygen they were talking about.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum