Cat peeing everywhere!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat peeing everywhere!!!!!

My cat Rocky had a blockage a couple of weeks back. He was at the vet overnight, the blockage was removed and he was discharged. He is still on antibiotics. His check up last week was good.

During his recovery, we had him segregated in our bedroom. It is his favorite room in the house. He was peeing well in the litter box, eating and drinking well.

We have another cat that was getting really aggressive with Rocky and attacking him often every day for several weeks before the blockage. We segregated him so he could recover and we could monitor his litter habits.

When he was no longer segregated, he was scared to go to the litter box due to the other cat. We rehomed the other cat last night. Rocky is still scared and I have picked him up and walked him around the house several times today so he understands the cat is no longer around. We completely cleaned out the litter box so he doesn't smell her.

He is still peeing right in front of me all over the house. If I take him to the litter box, he will pee in it right away, but won't go to it himself.

I realize it will take time for him to feel comfortable now. He first off had pain in the litter box that was evident by him peeing everywhere when he was blocked, then the litter box was in our room, now is in the old spot. I realize stress and the factors mentioned above create this issue.

I am wondering if anyone has ideas to help him adjust to the situation better so he will start peeing in his litter box again. Right now he is in litter box room with the door closed.
jcjakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I would put the litter box back in your bedroom, where he is comfortable using it. Poor guy has had a lot of stress so I would make his environment right now as stress free as possible. If that means having a litter box in your bedroom for a while, so be it. Once he is totally relaxed in his environment again, just move the box a few feet a day until it is back in the place where you want it. But if he doesn't accept it, as far as I'm concerned a litter box in my bedroom wouldn't be the worst thing as long as my cat would use it. He also might associate the pain he felt with the old location.
Heather72754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with Heather72754's suggestion. As well I would sprinkle on top of the litter some of Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter....it may make him more interested in using it. Also, I wash any material that that your "rehomed cat" lay on, and spot clean any furniture where she lay as well. I think he can still smell her scent and isn't convinced that's she's really gone away. Any time you do see him use the box appropriately, lavish praise on him, and give him a treat. Keep some handy in a pocket. Hope he gets straightened around soon and realizes he doesn't have to be afraid any more.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I agree with the suggestions above. I would also get a UTI ruled out just in case. Cats who avoid the litter box because of pain would indicate a UTI. Once you rule out the UTI then you can be absolutely sure that it is because your cat was afraid of the other cat. It can also be that he misses her as well, but I am not sure about this.

When Skittles would pee everywhere but the litter box, it was when Kitty passed. One time she used the litter box and meowed like she was in pain. Fast forward to about a month, month and a half, I got her to the vet and found out that the reason she was peeing everywhere wasn't because of a UTI, but because she was depressed from Kitty passing.
sweetcuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

The OP says right at the beginning of the post that their cat just had a blockage a few weeks ago.

Last edited by marie73; 03-27-2014 at 05:09 PM.
AutumnRose74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I agree. Rule out any medical issues (no UTI, blocking again, constipation etc) and then confine him again to the bedroom where he was going okay. He likely just needs to calm down and feel totally safe. That's much easier in one room than the whole house, even if the other cat is gone. Once he uses the box consistently for a week or two, slowly reintroduce him to the house.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!!!! He can't have a uti. He has been vet checked twice after his blockage and he is still on antibiotics.

He is relaxed now. I put him in the laundry room where the litter box is, closed the door and started looking for solutions. He came out a different kitty and the litter box was well used.

Before the blockage he was getting really stressed with our other cat being so mean with him. It's strange, because they used to get along, and one day she started hating him.

Anyways, for the last few weeks he would stay on the upper floor with me while I was working in my home office. He only went downstairs if he HAD to and he would run back up as she would attack him.

I think because he was on the main floor for a couple of hours without her pawing and growling at the door he understands she is gone. He is all of a sudden walking around freely on the main floor and is very relaxed about it. It is nice to see him like this again.

He is the love of my life. I hate seeing him stressed. Let's hope he starts going in the litter box consistently.
jcjakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement