Night time fretting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Night time fretting

Anyone else have a nervous cat who frets at night and wakes up their favourite human? (Ebony wakes me up when she frets at night)

Ebony can be perfectly happy snuggled up but I'm not sure if she hears something or if one of her nightmares wakes her up or what but she'll wake me up in the early hours of the morning just to get reassurance from me that everything's okay.

Anyone have any ideas how I can help her wquickly settle if something wakes her during the night before she starts fretting about whatever woke her up? Thanks <3

Beauty (12th August 2007 - 3rd November 2008 )
Dylan (4th November 2008 - 23rd March 2012)
Tom (29/08/2014 - 17/10/2014)
Ebony (01/01/2014 - current)
Tigger (31/10/14 - current) <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Cat

It's hard to say without knowing what's causing her to fret.

But as a general advice for calming cats, I would look at Feliway and playing with her a lot before bedtime.

I also give my cats their wet food as I'm going to bed, which helps them wanting a big nap.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She's not very playful, I can get toys out and move them around and she just looks at them like she's saying "and what do you expect me to do with that? It's a toy. It's not real, Mum"

Tigger, on the other hand, her reaction is "Yay! A toy! I got to kill it!" and she'll play with a toy for as long as I move it around for her and she often snatches the toy and races round the house with it.

As I said in the OP, I'm not sure whether it's nightmares that wake Ebony up or whether she hears something that scares her or what. I will get some Feliway though and see if that helps (I did have feliway for a cat a few years ago but he decided the diffuser was something to pee on)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Cool Cat

feliway is a really good idea.
If this doesn't bother you, you might also want to even try leaving a radio on or have a nice calming CD on replay all night so that there's always a little white noise. if she hears strange noises during the night when it's normally completely quiet, this might help. I also leave a radio on during the day for my kitties when I'm at work, AND have a spa like CD playing at night for them. meditation cds or ocean waves or something like that. helps calm me too!!! : )

good luck!

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Premier Cat

She has bad dreams? Well, you could talk softly to her and pet her. Does she have a favorite snuggle-toy? Also,when she wakes you in the morning, she COULD be informing Mummy it's breakfast time!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Ebony's version of "it's breakfast time" message is she sits by the bed staring at me, loudly purring, until she sees movement then she does the rub-round-any-available-part-of-mummy thing <3

When she wakes me up by fretting she'll cry out then jump onto the bed if she's not already there and will pace on the bed (when Tigger lets her pace), poor girl does get very distressed

Ebony's favourite snuggle-toy is (depending on her mood) either a catnip toy mouse, a cat toy christmas pudding or a blanket that my mum knitted for Ebony and Tigger to share. Normal for Ebony (when she gets distressed) is find the nearest object that smells of mummy and snuggle on it (unless it's mummy in which case pace up and down on top of her, crying, then make yourself as small as possible on the bed until the scary whatever-monster has gone away.

I believe she has bad dreams from her past because when she wakes up crying out it normally takes a few seconds for her to figure out she's safe and that Mummy's here and she's okay. We all know she's been treated badly - for one thing at some point someone broke her ribs and another thing (we found this out when she had to stay with a family member temporarily), Ebony is terrified of walking sticks. Someone has a walking stick in their hand and Ebony will not go near that person.

We have also seen her get really distressed when there's someone within sight that is wearing a police uniform.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just got some of the new feliway on order. Will let everyone know what happens when it arrives and I get it plugged in.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Cool Cat

definitely sounds like bad dreams. just the few things you mentioned are horrible for such a young little girl to have already experienced. I would just hold her as much as possible to help her feel safe. hopefully in time she will begin to forget the bad and know only what's good and wonderful with mommy right NOW. hugs and kisses to little Ebony!

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Little girl's been with me for 3 years so far (she's 5 now, turning 6 this year), she trusts me and she trusts my mum (when my mum's staying over she seeks out my mum if she gets nervous or scared during the day and at night because my mum doesn't stay the night Ebony seeks me out)

She was approximately 2 when rescue finally took her and her two surviving kittens in. Sad thing is most of her kittens died before they could be rescued

tbh idk if Ebony will ever completely forget her past traumas

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Premier Cat

My orange boy Percy would have bad dreams. I'd give him his little stuffed platypus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page