Cat Forum banner

These Aren't Love-Bites!

998 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Amy01 
#1 ·
Hello all:
So, my cat, Pook, who is about to turn 8 this summer, has been acting a little aggressive lately. Normally, he's a very happy-go-lucky cat, very lovable, and even plays fetch. But, lately he's been doing the following: Pook approaches me for love. He'll sit next to me and gently paw at my hand until I pet him. Then, seemingly without warning, he tries to bite my arm or leg (whichever is closer). These aren't love bites. I respond by pushing him away. More often than not he will attack a second time until I put him clear across the apartment from me.

So, I'm wondering, what's going on? I'm getting tired of bleeding. LOL

#2 · (Edited)
Any outdoor cats near your house/apt.? Stray cats around can be upsetting for indoor cats because they can smell them outside. Pushing or physicallly reprimanding him doesn't usually work.....so prepare yourself and get some things in your pocket to distract him just before he looks like he's thinking of biting you. Toss a small ball of foil/paper, twist tie, a small stuffed mousie. If you distract him successfully, give a little treat. If that doesn't work, just get up and walk away from him, completely ignoring him, and close yourself in your bedroom or bathroom if he's attempting to follow you. Also, give him some outlet for his energy, with at least two play sessions/day with a fishing pole type of toy like "Da Bird" or a teaser toy with feathers on the end..... Let the movement imitate a bird flying around and landing, and occasionally let him catch it. When he seems to be getting tired......then praise him and give him some treats. Good luck! hope some of these suggestions work out for you and Pook.

#3 ·
Not good. Something is wrong, but you already know that. It can be misdirected aggression like catloverami said, or it can be something medical is bothering him. I would first check for strays marking around your house. Secondly I would get a medical eval done on him to rule out tender spots. Don't assume that he is fine. You will need to deter any strays coming around with something like a Sssscat, motion detector aerosole spray (available on Amazon) and clean off the urine spray with Natures Miracle for Cat Urine, (also available on Amazon). To detect urine markings, go around the house with a black light flash light at night and check for glowing areas. That is urine. Then spray, spray, spray that urine smell away.

#4 ·
Hello all:
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'm not aware of any strays around my apartment, and Pook is an indoor-only cat. I don't physically reprimand him; I simply pick him up and place him far from me when he does this. I'll try the toy/treat method before I take him into the vet (mostly because I can't even afford the basic fee).

Thanks so much for the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.