Cat Forum banner

Unaltered Male No Behaviors?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Amy01 
#1 ·
So I took Morris Nixon to the vet. Vet says he's "definitely intact". Poor Morris, the vet is lightly manhandling him and saying "Look you can feel them, right there." :surprise:

I plan of course to get him neutered as he is a stray that adopted me and will be as he prefers, an indoor-outdoor man.

My question to the vet was, if he is unaltered, why doesn't he show any of the usual Tom behaviors? He doesn't spray, and he's around other cats, some male, and shows absolute indifference rather than any aggression. The vet said hey, sometimes you luck out but to me it seems pretty strange.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I own four males, and none of them show the usual male behavior, just like Morris! Actually they all look like him too, except for one who is black, and he shows more of this behavior. I wonder really if it's something in the orange tabby genes? That's either a really strange coincidence or maybe orange tabbies are just more laid back than other colored cats. Anyways, no there's nothing strange about that, I've only had one male cat out of six who sprayed (he did it on my favorite coat once).
Hope this helps!
-My_Cat_Smudge

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I suppose conversely, I actually have known some cats that were neutered that did spray anyhow. I guess it comes down to a behavioral issue rather than a biochemical issue. Aren't orange tabbies some sort of genetic mutation anyway to be that lovely ginger color? Maybe there's something to your theory. I had a cat that once peed on my inherited wool coat and there was no getting that stink out. I will probably get this cat neutered all the same, but I sure am going to enjoy the lack of behaviors in the meantime. I adore how docile he is, my new Morris buddy.

#4 ·
I had a male cat we found in the yard, probably 7 weeks old if that. Had him altered at a young age but he was a royal terror around any other cat until he reached 12 YO. He sprayed, yowled, fussed at the window. The vet finally said, I don't usually recommend this but let him out so he can claim the back yard as his. We did that, he disappeared for a day, came back and never miss behaved again. Woe onto any cat that crossed his yard but he became a big mush inside the house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.