Cat Forum banner

Scratching behavior in declawed cat?

818 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dseag2 
#1 ·
I've noticed that as Lily becomes more comfortable, she's been mimicking scratching behavior on scratching posts and cardboard scratchers. She has no front claws, so there is no actual scratching. Is this normal? Will she hurt her paws doing it?

#2 ·
Yes, this is normal. I'm not sure they *know* they haven't the claws. My son has a declawed cat (she came that way, second hand!) - also a calico - and she does this. Good thing she's declawed, for she'd beat up the other cats every day I think. She is the alpha cat of his home. :)

I think that is also a stretching thing. It feels good?

#7 · (Edited)
Cats also have scent glands in their paws and when they make scratching movements, or kneading, they leave odor cues that other cats smell (even if there are no other cats in the house). This may be the reason that declawed cats continue to scratch – they are leaving scent marks on objects they scratch. They are marking their territory.

And nice to see you have a beautiful black cat as well. We call Toby our Chat Noir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.