Just added a 3rd cat with behavior issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Just added a 3rd cat with behavior issues

We recently adopted a 3rd cat. After going to a pet store to look for a cat condo, my wife locked eyes with a beautiful black cat and it was over. Fast forward 4 days after adoption we need help. Our 2 current cats, both strays are wonderful, well behaved, perfect boys. The new one not so much. He lived in a rescue full of dogs and cats. Whenever we are eating dinner he will jump on the table and steal food off of your plate. He shreds plastic bread bags and will try to get into anything else on the counter. We have woken up every night to him being on the counter trying to get into anything and everything. We have moved everything off the counter but he still goes into scavenger mode ALL the time. He is reminiscent of a piranha. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know this isn't his personality because he is very sweet but he is a product of the environment he lived in for the better part of a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

He may be a "product of his environment", but maybe it's just his genetics....what behavior you describe with your black cat is my young Devon Rex, "Fitty", who's 1-1-2 yrs. old. He was raised by a responsible breeder, well socialized, got him at 4 mos. of age, but he has been a lot more mischievous and into everything than my other two Devons were put together. I think it's just the way he is, and your boy may be too. You can discourage him from going on the counter with an automatic air spray (Ssscat!), or putting on sections of rug/carpet liner that is spikey, most cats don't like to walk on it. Reprimands don't work with Fitty. When Fitty walked on our upper condo railing it gave me fits as it was 15 ft. drop to the floor and I didn't want a dead or injured cat. To prevent Fitty from doing a "high wire walk" on our upper condo railing, I had to put on double-sided masking tape. He walked just once and didn't like the stickiness, but he still will stand on his legs to see if the tape is still there! Give your cat active workouts twice a day with a wand-type of toy, switch around his toys, my guys love those plastic spirals (pet store), or catnip mousies. You need to siphon off some of his energy. When he is behaving well , reward him with a treat. If he doesn't have a cat tree, he needs one, and/or a shelf to sit on to look out a window. Reward him when he sits on them. These are a few suggestions you can try and see if it makes a difference with your new black boy. Fitty is very sweet and lovable too, and I know what you're going through as it can be a real aggravation. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 04-20-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page