Cat hissing and growling - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat hissing and growling

My one a half year old boy oliver started hissing really hard for no reason at all. I was sitting on my desk chair and he was chilling out and out of the blue he started hissing. Hes licking his penis now and if i interupt him he gets angry whats going on

He wont stop licking his penis which i can see, im worried now

Last edited by marie73; Yesterday at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

The licking may indicate a urinary tract infection or blockage. Has he been peeing normally? If he's having urinary issues, the hissing may be because he's in pain. Sounds like a vet visit is needed.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Cat

He cannot pee, vet in 12 hours, is there anything i can do now
I tried feebly to gently pull his wee wee to maybe get the pee flowing but nothing...Im so worried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

If he cannot pee he needs to go to the vet immediately...emergency vet now! Do not wait, this can be life threatening. And he's probably in a lot of pain.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Premier Cat

Get to the vet immediately I had a cat once that had a urinary blockage and he couldn't pee either, unfortunately it turned out to be a tumor in his bladder and the vet had to euthanize him, he was 13 y.o. at the time. That was many years ago and the vet care at that time was not as sophisticated and proactive as it is today where my boy likely would have survived with surgery. Hope your boy will recover soon.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Cool Cat

yes, get him to the vet immediately! if it's a UTI, he needs antibiotics right away. he needs to be seen no matter what ASAP. and definitely do NOT pull on his wee wee. you could end up making things even worse and you might lose an arm in the process if he's already in so much pain.

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Vet in a hour, its morning and hes purring and playing and seems normal but i did not see him urinate since last night..Horrible day yesterday i had two anxiety attacks which were horrible
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Olivers on zeniquin antibiodics, they was going to keep him for the day, but i told them he was still playing this morning so i brought him home.

His bladder was empty so hes tryin to pee even though it was empty
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yeaterday I got enough urine when he peed off the side of the pan accompanied by a loud HISS... Hes now on prazosin and i have a case of prescription diet. He had some blood in his urine and crystals

He ate 24 grams last night of his hills prescription, today he doesnt want to touch it, its 9:50 am and he hasnt eaten yet. He wants his dry deli cat kibble which i want to cut out entirely...He always ate some wet food but since his problem he wants dry kibble...

Do I just hold out on the food until he eats? He urinated today but hissed after, hes only had two doses of prazosin so far...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Cool Cat

glad you got him to the vet and got some antibiotics. i assume it was for a UTI. i don't know how long it takes for it to really kick in, but i'd ask the vet about some pain meds too maybe. sounds like it's still pretty painful for him to urinate and that's why he's hissing.
i'd probably keep trying to feed him the hills for urinary tract health in case he's going to be prone to UTIs in the future. maybe you could mix some other tastier wet food with it, though, to encourage him to eat it again? then hopefully you can wean him off the regular stuff and slowly replace it with more and more of the hills. i've read a bunch of other stuff on the urinary health diet and you COULD try some of the suggestions, but i hate the idea of risking another UTI by going off the hills, too.
i don't have a lot of experience with cats prone to UTIs but i did foster one who luckily did eat the stuff without too much of a problem. that is until i was given a couple more to foster at the same time who DIDN'T need the urinary tract diet. as soon as she smelled the normal wet food, she wanted nothing to do with the urinary health food. once she went back to the shelter to be adopted, though, she ate it again just fine because she had no choice.

hope your boy is back to fighting condition very soon! you too!

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page