My husband insisted that we leave the pet door open last night to let our cats go out - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My husband insisted that we leave the pet door open last night to let our cats go out

We currently have 4 cats. As of a little over a year ago, we had 6 cats. Within the span of 6 months, 2 of our cats mysteriously went missing. No sign of them was every found. After our last one went missing I insisted that we keep the pet door closed at night after about 9PM and keep them in because I hate the constant worry of where they might be. Well two of our cats are fine with being inside while the other two are roamers and get very distressed when they are kept in for the night. One will meow at the closed door and the other will claw at the door to get out. This has spilled over into our bedroom as well where one, without fail every morning at 3:30 AM will start walking all over us and picking at the carpet and vocalizing wanting to be fed and let out. There's no way you can ignore it. The other one will follow suit and start picking at the carpet as well. If we keep them out of the bedroom then there is constant vocalization and picking at the door. We can't win. Only does getting up and opening up the cat door work and I really don't want to let them out at 3:30 in the morning or feed them that early. This is really wearing on me and I'm tired every day. We have no basement or other room to put the m into because no matter where they are they will tear up the carpet trying to get out.

So my husband insisted we leave the door open for them last night saying it's summer and they want to be out and it will allow us to sleep. Even when I say that I hear coyotes howling late at night every now and then he comes back with "They are all smart. They will run back to the house if there's trouble." He doesn't understand that that's not always possible. I let him leave it open for them last night and I laid awake half the night wondering if they were all in. We have trackers on the 2 that wander, but they only go up to 400 ft. I never worried about them at our old house, but after having two go missing, it makes me worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Cat Addict

I have two cats that also go outside. They do come in for dinner and that is when the door is closed. I feel bad because it is summer and still light out but it hasn't hurt them. It took awhile and they are now on total schedule. I do get some meows and pacing but cats can get used to a routine. It may take some time. I also keep my bedroom door closed and had meowing but again after days it subsided.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Premier Cat

I hear ya, mapper. The problem is, a cat can be EXPECTED to run away, if left outside. It sounds like the 2 adventurers come back, but while they're out on the town, there's a lot of bad things that can happen to them.

I take my Robin Hood out to play , and there have been times he's seen a bird or or a cat-friend, and POW, off he goes! And he always comes right back.

It would be safer to keep him indoors, but he misses his romp when it doesn't happen.

What're their names, btw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Kitten

My cat has formed the habit of going outside with the dogs around 10 PM when they go out for their last potty call. We have a large fenced in back yard, but we do get wildlife: raccoons, foxes, large owls and other stray cats that could pose a threat to her. I think she feels safer when they all go out together. She normally appears at the door about 10 minutes after they come back in.

... but every now and then she will stay out until after midnight giving me lots of worry.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well we've let them go in and out throughout the night for the past 6 nights and everyone was still there in the morning. If they weren't there, they came in within a few minutes of me getting up to feed them. It does allow us to sleep longer in the morning as our one cat isn't scratching at the carpet, however our other one still walks all over us and is vocal, but now that has at least gone up an hour from 3:30 to 4:30. It does save the headache of having to wrangle them in every night, but I am still constantly worried as to where they are. Especially the occasions when I hear coyotes howling outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page