Bite and love bite... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Bite and love bite...

We brought our girl, Vega, home ~2 weeks ago. She is sweet and can be cuddling if she she wants (more to her mom though...). Occasionally, she bites hands or feet. So far, what we are doing is trying to let her focus on toys. We got types of chew toys and teasers for her and spend time paying with her. Also, when she bites, we say NO and leave her alone in the room a bit. She is doing better, although still biting once or twice a day. I'd love to hear any advice to improve her behavior. Thanks!
And, I find it's hard to tell between love bite, which seems normal for cast, and bite she is tempted to commit but stopped because she is afraid being left alone. There might be a thine line between what's allowed and what's not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Cool Cat

I agree it's a thin line. I'm kind of a softie myself when it comes to lovebites. my angel gave me love bites all the time and I loved it. I could definitely tell with her if it was a MAD bite, though. it was pretty obvious because it was always my fault - you know, trying to clip her claws or something or when I was just learning how to do subQ fluids and poked her with the needle.

I am currently fostering a 2 year old cat rescued from a hoarding situation and I'm also trying to "teach" him not to bite OR scratch actually. 2 weeks is not very long still for you, so I think with your little girl it will just take time. it sounds like she's a smart girl and is already learning. I've had my foster for about a week and a half and progress is very off and on, but I feel he is learning a bit, too. I do the same thing. i play with him with toys a lot to diffuse his energy and when he bites or scratches, I say NO and then leave the room. there have been a few times for him as well when he ALMOST bit, but didn't once he saw it was my hand he was about to bite. and even when he still swats at me occasionally, he does not have his claws out at least. I think that's a good sign. overall he has also really warmed up and lets me pet him a bunch and will even jump up on the couch with me, but he's still a little skittish and I think easily overstimulated.

my advice is just to keep doing what you're doing and know it might take a little while for her to fully learn. that seems to be the recommended way to teach cats not to bite at least. of course, i'll be lurking here to see if anyone else has other advice! cuz I would find it helpful too!

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Jr. Cat

From my experience, whenever my cats land their teeth on my skin, whether its love bite or angry bite, I will tell them "NO" in a firm stern tone and yelp with pain, and then stop playing/cuddling with them. Same thing if they put their nails out to my skin.

Always try to play with them with toys instead of your hands/feet.

Hope it helps.

Hana Hiro Hadow and Hocky, Mommy and Daddy will love you forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page