Cat Forum banner

question about getting stray cats to switch feeding location

853 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  silvita 
#1 ·
I've always have dogs. However, I feed several squirrels and a gray feral cat that comes to my doorstep every day. And I'm about to start feeding a small colony soon. The person that has been feeding them for about two years has stop because his girlfriend doesn't want him to do it any more. I would love to take that responsibility but I don't know how to make them come to my house instead of his.
I love all types of animals and if I could I would bring home every single one without a house. I'm also an engineer and I work in the biotech industry and I paint with oils, and I love to travel. I don't know what else to say to get approved in this forum. I'm in need of some advice ASAP and I hope to be able to get it from the people here.
Silvita

#3 ·
Hi dear. Thanks for responding. They're 4 cats that this guy has been feeding in his backyard, he stopped cold turkey and they just stand there waiting for him, but he won't feed them. He wants them out of there, and kind of passed on that responsibility to me, without planning or giving it much thought. He did this because he knows I care. I was financing half of the feeding cost since the time he decided to start feeding them. I've been putting food next door but I know he'll get mad if he finds out, because he wants them out of his life and out of his BACKYARD. I've been trying to lure them to my place, but they kind of follow me half way and that's it, so I've also been leaving food in that location. Id love for them to come to my backyard since it would be easier for me and I want them to feel they lost a home, but have found another one. Any tips? I'm sad and stressed out at the same time, my heart aches for this kitties, i don't want the to starve. I talked to another neighboor about it, and he told me not to worry, he said, put food out and they'll find it. Please advice. Thanks !!!

#4 ·
I see - they're right next door. I would keep trying to lure them with really tempting treats and would also set up a feeding station on your property. This can be anything that protects the food from the rain, like a large plastic storage container. If you have the time, just having a presence around them will reassure them that you mean well.
I live in the sticks. My neighbor fed his cat erratically and I coaxed it to a feeding station on the edge of my property. That was over a year ago and I feed this cat every day. It took time, but wet food (not kibble) was the key. The cat looked for it and really wanted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.