Cat Forum banner

Partial problem with litter box

975 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Arianwen 
#1 ·
My MIL who lives with us in a separate MIL apartment has two purebred Maine Coons (littermates, brought home at 11 weeks old) who are 10 years old. About 2 months ago one or both of them started pooping occasionally, once every two or three days, in various areas of the house. They pee in the litter box just fine. We've been cleaning the litter box twice a day, we've sprayed areas they seem to prefer to poop in with Boundary and we moved the box from a back corner to about 5' away where it's more easily seen. Does anyone have any other ideas? I just don't get why they'll pee just fine in the box, but not poop.

#2 ·
have you been able to tell if the poop is really hard and dry or coming out in little balls? if so, then someone is constipated and that could certainly be a reason they're just letting it out where they can.

is the MIL away for a while or something? is that why you are taking care of all the cleaning? could also be one of them acting out because they are lonely or just miss the MIL.

just a couple quickie thoughts I had.

#3 ·
Thanks for the comments Maggie23

It's always been somewhat hard, but very few of the hard balls you wondered about, so we started adding a hairball lubricant to their food. They eat Fancy Feast and we've been adding about 1/2 can of water per can of food. We've considered switching them to freeze dried raw as an experiment, but I'm a little concerned about proper handling because my MIL is 91.

My MIL has been in the hospital for the last almost 4 weeks (expected to be home next week), recovering from a broken hip. But the problem started at least a month before her broken hip. We'll see if anything changes when she gets home.

#4 ·
Hi Bruce! What Maggie mentioned is definitely one possibility, also at the age they are now, it could be some arthritis is setting in, making it a bit harder for them to assume the proper position! are their boxes covered or uncovered? Do you have at least two boxes for them? If the box/boxes are covered, try taking the cover off, and see if that helps, it might make it easier for them to find the proper position, without them bumping their heads on a hood/cover! Maine Coons are known for their size!
Hopefully, others will add their ideas as well! Good Luck!
Sharon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.