Cat Forum banner

Itching, but only outside

741 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Alexlw 
#1 ·
My 8 year old cat has never been too fond of the outdoors as he was nearly catnapped when he was a kitten. But he always liked going outside if we were outside and the door was open.
A few weeks ago, he was outside and he got an uncontrollable itch after a while which made him run back indoors. Then, it got progressively worse. The minute he went outside, he got an itch and ran back inside. Then, he would sit on the first step outside, get the itch and run back in. Then, if he was inside but at the door, thinking about going outside, he'd get an itch. Now, if he comes near the door when it's open, he gets an itch.
He doesn't itch any other time, just when he's near the outdoors.
It's just a shame because he loves the outdoors, and he really does want to be outside. We didn't know if it could potentially be psychological? We didn't think it was hay fever either.
Any one have any ideas?

#3 ·
I'm assuming you've gone through his coat with a flea comb, or stood him over a white piece of paper and fluffed his coat to see if any black specks fell on the paper....if you put a drop of water on the and they turn brownish-red, then he has fleas. It does seem more "psychological" tho to me, since it happens both indoors and outdoors when he's near an open door or window.. Perhaps he was bitten by an ant or spider outside and remembers the discomfort, and being near an open door/window he's reminded of it. Otherwise, I have no other idea of what could cause this itching.

#4 ·
Yes, he had no fleas whatsoever. He only itched once by the window so I'm taking that as coincidence. Otherwise I have no idea either, he went outside a yesterday when it was raining, so it got me thinking that maybe he just isn't enjoying the sun anymore, but I don't see how that would make him itch. Yes, it could also be a previous bite that has him all shook up, it's difficult to know. Thank you for your response! :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.