Cat Forum banner

Should I get a cat or wait? (Law school and extenuating circumstances)

901 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  catloverami 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm thinking about getting a kitten - which will be my very first pet, cat or no - and for the past two weeks I have been vigorously researching everything there is to know about cat behavior, and what I can expect, etc.

There's a couple of things that give me pause, however, and I'd appreciate advice as to whether I should get a cat now or hold off for a year (for reasons I will explain now):

1. I'm going to law school next year. (Which will definitely involve me moving states, most likely cross country (and a plane trip). Right now, I live in my parents house, occupied by 4 adults. My family understands that if I get myself a cat, I will be the primary caretaker and I will be taking it with me for law school, but I'm worried that not only will the travel be very stressful for the cat, but on top of that, the cat will have to adjust to living in a one-person home (with me, its primary caretaker), after a year of living with me and several other people in the house. Am I overreacting? Will the absence of people who were previously common in a cat's environment exacerbate moving-related anxiety?

Of course, I don't exactly want to wait a year to get a cat, but then again, I want my cat-owning experience to be as positive as possible, and don't want to create any undue stress for the cat (or myself). Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
The travel and moving will be disruptive to the cat, as well as living a lot of it own because you would be in classes. It would be better it you waited. Better yet, since you are a first time pet owner, my suggestion is that you volunteer to help out at a cat shelter, and get to know how to approach, handle, and what is involved in looking after a cat, their personalities and quirks, breed differences, etc. Then when you are settled after your schooling, you will have a better idea of what kind of cat you want as your pet, and two kitties usually do better together than alone. All the best in your law school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.