Kitty licking a LOT - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Kitty licking a LOT

Hi, my kitty (cat really) is licking a lot? Like me? She licks my hand so much that it begins to really hurt (and if she licks my arm it hurts like right away ). Who needs microderm abbrasion when you have this kitty around. I was wondering if there's anything to this? She'll spend like 10 minutes licking me if I let her.
anguissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2003, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Most often a cat licking their owner is a sign of affection. Your kitty is just telling you in her own language that she loves you. Another way of showing affection is looking at you and blinking her eyes very slowly. You can even do it back to her to say you love her!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yup, that's exactly it, the cat is saying she loves you, and she hopes you will give her the same favor in return sometime. You can either pet her or lick her, she will love both.

I do know some people who lick their cats, including myself and we have found we have formed so much of a stronger bond with those cats.

I only ever licked my Tagies (on his head/face) and he honestly thinks that I am his real mother he is litterally obsessed with me, lol. Call me nutty, but I'll do anything to learn more about animal behavoir.

If you get annoyed with her licking you too much, just give her a kiss on the head and say "I'll come be with you later" and then just go do something else. Trying to just put her down, and away from you will normally only result in her coming back to you, cause in a cats mind they think "Oh, taking me off the bed must have just been an accident, I'll just jump back up."
AngelZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Ooh, my kitten licks me a lot too! and I just let him, cos I love him very much. He also suck at my hand a lot.

But i don't think I will lick him back.. cos he tramples over the urine soaked litter after he urinated... geesh, I won't want to kiss this guy... until I bathe him! heehee.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Sometimes, when cats knead on us, for example, they are considering us their mothers. Other times, such as when they bring us food (mice, etc.) and bathe us, we are the kittens and they are mothering us. I think it's sweet to have your pet bathe you for a change! I find it endearing behavior, and it's very loving to be considered their babies! (Yes, this came from a book on cat behavior!)

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

I let her, she generally lays in my lap while I'm at the computer and will lick on my mousing hand as much as possible if I bring it near her face. I think its cute, but it really does start to hurt after like 5 minutes of continual licking but I put up with that because I love her.
anguissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I know! Sandpaper tongues! And we don't want to hurt their little feelings! Oh, gosh, we can't win for losing. They're worth it, though. :)

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My kitten likes licking my nose when I'm asleep or trying to go to sleep. I normally let him until my nose gets sore (which is sunburned right now, so he doesnt get to). Then I cover my head with my blanket. Then he kneads me for hours. He just loves me to much
Old 08-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

My cat does the same to me , not for 10 min but long enough and i just let her till she is content. My cat also likes to bite a litte not real hard but if she licks my feet she will naw a litte do that tickles. It is clearly a sign of love.
randiandtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

One Ring: lol well I do bath my cats

Jeanie: Kneeding can also be a sign of insecurity in a cat. So when my cats feel the need to do it, I just let them because it makes them happy. I have an emotional cat anxiety/depression problems, so I have to bend to his every whim to prevent him from revolting and peeing everywhere again
AngelZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement