Peeing Over Edge of Litter Box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Peeing Over Edge of Litter Box

We have two cats, one 12 and one 14. They share two litter boxes, which are both in the same location. They both always use the litter boxes. The trouble is that the 12-year-old, Zu Zu, has bad aim. Actually, what he does is he stands in the litter box, sticks his butt up in the air, and pees about three feet past the litter box.

I came up with what I thought was a clever solution: I built a high-walled box around the two litter boxes (with a little doorway to let them in) so that Zu Zu can't pee past the litter box. I was hoping it would force him to squat.

Unfortunately, he's still peeing over the edge, only now it all gathers on the bottom of the box around the two litter boxes. I'll leave you to imagine what fun this is to clean up every day.

Any advice on how we might, um, redirect his efforts? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You could buy the enclosed litter boxes with a top. Just an enterance. But that will only work if kitty 'turns around' first!
One of my senior cats hasn't figured that out yet and sometimes 'misses'.

Is he nuetered? Sounds more like spraying to me. He may also have an UTI. But that doesn't completely sound like it. Id get the new litter box from a petstore, AND see your vet, just in case.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If you haven't already, get a large piece of plastic to cover the floor under the litter boxes. Good luck.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. He is neutered, although when he pees he looks exactly as if he's spraying. I'll try litter boxes with hoods and see how that works. I'm wondering, though, if his behavior may be related to anxiety or depression. He's always been an extremely skittish cat (although he'll sit on your lap for hours). In addition, his older "brother," Fabian, has chronic renal failure, and just doesn't have the energy to play with him anymore, so I think Zu Zu may be a bit out of sorts. We'll try to pay him more attention. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

You should probably add another litter box and also spread them out in the house. The general rule is one box per cat plus one extra. Especially with a renal failure cat, whom is urinating alot, you should try to follow the rule. ZuZu may be getting into the box and it is just a little to dirty or smelly for him to feel comfortable to really jump in and kick around to urinate. In the behavior field we always try to look for the simplest solution to problems and go from there. It will save you the hassels in the long run
Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Yes, probably good advice. Our older cat, Fabian, is drinking (and peeing) _a lot_. So maybe the third box will help.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The hooded litterboxes are great, but make sure that your cats aren't afraid of it. Some cats don't like to be enclosed because they fear that the other cats in the house will attack them and they won't have an escape route. I hope all of those wonderful suggestions help!

I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.~Jules Verne

A meow massages the heart.~Stuart McMillan
kittygirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement